* Gcc doesn't work anymore!
@ 2011-02-08 22:13 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-02-08 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all,

I use gcc-ing quite extensively, which worked out pretty fine.
Unfortunately, I've just recognized that it stopped working, which is a
pretty serious data loss issue for me.

When I start writing a reply or a new mail, the Gcc: heades is correctly
inserted in the message buffer, like

  Gcc: "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.Sent Items"

which is the Gcc for mailing list groups like ding, or

  Gcc: nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.FSF

for non-mailinglist groups (generated by gcc-self group parameter).

However, when sending the mail away with C-c C-c, no copy of the mail
ends up in the Gcc-ed group.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: Gcc doesn't work anymore!
@ 2011-02-09  3:31 ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2011-02-09  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Hi all,
> I use gcc-ing quite extensively, which worked out pretty fine.
> Unfortunately, I've just recognized that it stopped working, which is a
> pretty serious data loss issue for me.

> When I start writing a reply or a new mail, the Gcc: heades is correctly
> inserted in the message buffer, like

>   Gcc: "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.Sent Items"

> which is the Gcc for mailing list groups like ding, or

>   Gcc: nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.FSF

> for non-mailinglist groups (generated by gcc-self group parameter).

> However, when sending the mail away with C-c C-c, no copy of the mail
> ends up in the Gcc-ed group.

I just discovered that this is also happening to me.  I should have noticed earlier since I stopped using gnus-gcc-mark-as-read to avoid that other problem.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: Gcc doesn't work anymore!
@ 2011-02-09  8:52   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-02-09  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Goldberg; +Cc: ding

david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) writes:

>> Hi all,
>> I use gcc-ing quite extensively, which worked out pretty fine.
>
>> Unfortunately, I've just recognized that it stopped working, which is a
>> pretty serious data loss issue for me.
>
>> When I start writing a reply or a new mail, the Gcc: heades is correctly
>> inserted in the message buffer, like
>
>>   Gcc: "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.Sent Items"
>
>> which is the Gcc for mailing list groups like ding, or
>
>>   Gcc: nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.FSF
>
>> for non-mailinglist groups (generated by gcc-self group parameter).
>
>> However, when sending the mail away with C-c C-c, no copy of the mail
>> ends up in the Gcc-ed group.
>
> I just discovered that this is also happening to me.  I should have
> noticed earlier since I stopped using gnus-gcc-mark-as-read to avoid
> that other problem.

Well, GCC is working for me but not 100%.  No Gnus from git as of this
morning (GMT).  I wrote 4 emails this morning on the train (agent).
They were sent when I got to the office.  Of these, 2 have definitely
GCCed correctly; one definitely has not (I cannot find it anywhere); the
fourth I am not sure as I cannot remember what it is I wrote and so
cannot remember where it might have landed :(

In all cases, the GCC would have been for IMAP groups for the same
server.

So, some concern is valid!

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.11

* Re: Gcc doesn't work anymore!
@ 2011-02-09  9:20     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-02-09  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Dave Goldberg, ding

> david.goldberg6@verizon.net (Dave Goldberg) writes:
>
>>> Hi all,
>>> I use gcc-ing quite extensively, which worked out pretty fine.
>>
>>> Unfortunately, I've just recognized that it stopped working, which is a
>>> pretty serious data loss issue for me.
>>
>>> When I start writing a reply or a new mail, the Gcc: heades is correctly
>>> inserted in the message buffer, like
>>
>>>   Gcc: "nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.Sent Items"
>>
>>> which is the Gcc for mailing list groups like ding, or
>>
>>>   Gcc: nnimap+Fastmail:INBOX.FSF
>>
>>> for non-mailinglist groups (generated by gcc-self group parameter).
>>
>>> However, when sending the mail away with C-c C-c, no copy of the mail
>>> ends up in the Gcc-ed group.
>>
>> I just discovered that this is also happening to me.  I should have
>> noticed earlier since I stopped using gnus-gcc-mark-as-read to avoid
>> that other problem.
>
> Well, GCC is working for me but not 100%.  No Gnus from git as of this
> morning (GMT).  I wrote 4 emails this morning on the train (agent).
> They were sent when I got to the office.  Of these, 2 have definitely
> GCCed correctly; one definitely has not (I cannot find it anywhere); the
> fourth I am not sure as I cannot remember what it is I wrote and so
> cannot remember where it might have landed :(
>
> In all cases, the GCC would have been for IMAP groups for the same
> server.

Strange things here for a while which I put on the back burner :
primarily as I changed my set up from local IMAP to direct gmail imap
connection.

I probably dont want Gnus doing any archiving or Gcc'ing since I use the google
smtp servers and I think they take care of that.

The issue is more that Gnus seems to fetch semi-random messages from the
"[google mail]/Sent" group on my IMAP server. e.g If I C-U 1 when
entering the Sent folder I would expect to see the last mail I
sent. Possibly this is Agent related and would welcome suggestions on
how to correct this.

regards

r.

* Re: Gcc doesn't work anymore!
@ 2011-02-09 10:38 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-02-09 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi again,

I've done a git bisection, but I had so skip some revisions which
directly produced errors on Gnus' startup.  Anyway, I somehow tracked it
at least down to that:

There are only 'skip'ped commits left to test.
The first bad commit could be any of:
328bdcc7ef80844d091a42062f46952b8458367f
530c9fe9d00f3eb2e8ab4fee30d7161fd3fbb78d
6c7c716a21493485a47f4ca081c01c3c4c1ee5fc
77b51da138680394f8cb5cef724e9af0cc78ba3d
We cannot bisect more!

Bye,
Tassilo
--