* Asynchronous NNTP group data fetching
@ 2011-01-31  3:18 Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-01-31  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've now finally implemented the -early and -finish async group data
functions for nntp.  This means that if you're reading from several news
servers, hitting `g' should be significantly faster for you.

It seems to work in practise, too.  I'm reading from eternal-news, Gmane
and Quimby, and it sure seems faster to me, but it might all be placebo.

Let me know what broke.

* Re: Asynchronous NNTP group data fetching
@ 2011-01-31 16:16 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-01-31 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> It seems to work in practise, too.  I'm reading from eternal-news, Gmane
> and Quimby, and it sure seems faster to me, but it might all be placebo.

I benchmarked it, with one nnimap server, and 5 NNTP servers (two of
which are news.gmane.org, but that shouldn't make a difference...?).
There are 61 active nntp groups on level 3.

This is on an Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 1.5GB of memory,
running debian testing, and GNU Emacs 23.2.1.

Before git pull:
(benchmark-run 50 (gnus-group-get-new-news))
(49.284682 11 1.154320999999996)

After git pull and rebuild, and a freshly started emacs:
(benchmark-run 50 (gnus-group-get-new-news))
(28.975652 19 1.3127539999999993)

So... it's nearly twice as fast in real time used, but it spends more
time in garbage collection.

* Re: Asynchronous NNTP group data fetching
@ 2011-02-01  1:21   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-01  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> So... it's nearly twice as fast in real time used,

Yay!

> but it spends more time in garbage collection.

Boo.

Actually, I'm somewhat surprised that is generates significantly more
garbage.  I've looked over the code, and it seems, if anything, slightly
less consing than before...