For a long time, I have had sieve-manage-default-port set to "sieve". Apparently, sieve-manage ignored that in the past. Now that sieve-manage-default-port is used properly by sieve-manage-open, I was getting the following traceback: Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Format specifier doesn't match argument type") format(" *sieve* %s:%d" "localhost" "sieve") sieve-manage-open("localhost") sieve-open-server("localhost" nil) sieve-manage("localhost") call-interactively(sieve-manage t nil) execute-extended-command(nil) call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil) I could obviously change my sieve-manage-default-port port to 2000, but is there any reason not to use the following patch (which works for me) instead?