* many IncomingXXXXX files left in ~/Mail
@ 2008-01-04 18:20 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-01-04 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

After emacs CVS HEAD switched to used gnus 5.13 I started seeing a lot
of IncomingXXXXX files in ~/Mail. I get my mail from /var/spool/mail. I
use nnml.
I don't know if those are for all the messages I receive, or just a part
of them.
But something seems to not be able to clean up.

Can someone please take a look at this?

Thanks

        --dan

* Re: many IncomingXXXXX files left in ~/Mail
@ 2008-01-04 18:30 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2008-01-04 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

,----[ C-h v mail-source-delete-incoming RET ]

`----

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

          Use the best OS -- http://www.fedoraproject.org/

* Re: many IncomingXXXXX files left in ~/Mail
@ 2008-01-04 18:31 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-01-04 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: ding

On Fri, Jan 04 2008, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

> After emacs CVS HEAD switched to used gnus 5.13 I started seeing a lot
> of IncomingXXXXX files in ~/Mail. I get my mail from /var/spool/mail. I
> use nnml.
> I don't know if those are for all the messages I receive, or just a part
> of them.
> But something seems to not be able to clean up.

Set `mail-source-delete-incoming' to a number (or even to t, if you
are brave enough):

,----[ <f1> v mail-source-delete-incoming RET ]
| mail-source-delete-incoming is a variable defined in `mail-source.el'.
| Its value is 4
|
| Documentation:
| *If non-nil, delete incoming files after handling.
| If t, delete immediately, if nil, never delete.  If a positive number, delete
| files older than number of days.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

See also (info "(gnus)Mail Source Customization").

Not deleting the incoming files is intended for the development
version.  Although I wouldn't mind to change it to some number, say 7
or 14 days.  This question came up quite often recently.  Opinions?

,----[ (info "(gnus)Gnus Development") ]
|    Some variable defaults differ between alpha Gnusae and released
| Gnusae.  In particular, `mail-source-delete-incoming' defaults to `nil'
| in alpha Gnusae and `t' in released Gnusae.  This is to prevent lossage
| of mail if an alpha release hiccups while handling the mail.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: many IncomingXXXXX files left in ~/Mail
@ 2008-01-04 19:38   ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-01-04 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

  > On Fri, Jan 04 2008, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  >
  > > After emacs CVS HEAD switched to used gnus 5.13 I started seeing a lot
  > > of IncomingXXXXX files in ~/Mail. I get my mail from /var/spool/mail. I
  > > use nnml.
  > > I don't know if those are for all the messages I receive, or just a part
  > > of them.
  > > But something seems to not be able to clean up.
  >
  > Set `mail-source-delete-incoming' to a number (or even to t, if you
  > are brave enough):
  >
  > ,----[ <f1> v mail-source-delete-incoming RET ]
  > | mail-source-delete-incoming is a variable defined in `mail-source.el'.
  > | Its value is 4
  > |
  > | Documentation:
  > | *If non-nil, delete incoming files after handling.
  > | If t, delete immediately, if nil, never delete.  If a positive number, delete
  > | files older than number of days.
  > |
  > | You can customize this variable.
  > `----
  >
  > See also (info "(gnus)Mail Source Customization").
  >
  > Not deleting the incoming files is intended for the development
  > version.
  >
  > Although I wouldn't mind to change it to some number, say 7
  > or 14 days.  This question came up quite often recently.  Opinions?

Please do. I don't think most people want to think about setting yet
another variable, and remember to remove it later.

  > ,----[ (info "(gnus)Gnus Development") ]
  > |    Some variable defaults differ between alpha Gnusae and released
  > | Gnusae.  In particular, `mail-source-delete-incoming' defaults to `nil'
  > | in alpha Gnusae and `t' in released Gnusae.  This is to prevent lossage
  > | of mail if an alpha release hiccups while handling the mail.
  > `----

It might be a good idea to post such info to emacs-devel when new
versions are merged in CVS HEAD, one can't read all the patches to the
docs to find out about things like this.

* Re: many IncomingXXXXX files left in ~/Mail
@ 2008-01-04 23:49     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-01-04 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: ding

On Fri, Jan 04 2008, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>   > Although I wouldn't mind to change it to some number, say 7
>   > or 14 days.  This question came up quite often recently.  Opinions?
>
> Please do. I don't think most people want to think about setting yet
> another variable, and remember to remove it later.

I'll wait a couple of days to hear more/other opinions.

BTW, allowing an integer is rather new (2003-02-24), so it might make
sense to set it to a small integer value (1..3) also for stable
versions.  What do people think?

>   > ,----[ (info "(gnus)Gnus Development") ]
>   > |    Some variable defaults differ between alpha Gnusae and released
>   > | Gnusae.  In particular, `mail-source-delete-incoming' defaults to `nil'
>   > | in alpha Gnusae and `t' in released Gnusae.  This is to prevent lossage
>   > | of mail if an alpha release hiccups while handling the mail.
>   > `----
>
> It might be a good idea to post such info to emacs-devel when new
> versions are merged in CVS HEAD, one can't read all the patches to the
> docs to find out about things like this.

Well, this information is not really new.  According to gnus.texi,
this was the practice at least since 1999.  What is new for Emacs CVS
users is the fact, that a development version of Gnus is in Emacs CVS.

If we change it to an integer, I don't think such an info message to
emacs-devel is required.  But feel free post it if you disagree. :-)

In general, changes in No Gnus (5.12.x/5.13) compared to Oort Gnus
(5.10.x/5.11) should be documented in (info "(gnus)No Gnus") aka
etc/GNUS-NEWS.  Please report if anything important is missing there.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: many IncomingXXXXX files left in ~/Mail
@ 2008-01-04 23:58   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2008-01-04 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 19:31:11 +0100, Reiner wrote:

> Not deleting the incoming files is intended for the development
> version.  Although I wouldn't mind to change it to some number, say 7
> or 14 days.  This question came up quite often recently.  Opinions?

I think that would be a good idea - people will probably still ask, but
at least they won't have have a doubly ever-growing ~/Mail to freak them
out :-)

  Best regards,

--
 "Yakka foob mog. Grug pubbawup zink wattoom gazork.          Adam Sjøgren
  Chumble spuzz."                                        asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: many IncomingXXXXX files left in ~/Mail
@ 2008-01-05  0:52       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-01-05  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Fri, Jan 04 2008, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
>
>> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>>   > Although I wouldn't mind to change it to some number, say 7
>>   > or 14 days.  This question came up quite often recently.  Opinions?
>>
>> Please do. I don't think most people want to think about setting yet
>> another variable, and remember to remove it later.
>
> I'll wait a couple of days to hear more/other opinions.
>
> BTW, allowing an integer is rather new (2003-02-24), so it might make
> sense to set it to a small integer value (1..3) also for stable
> versions.  What do people think?

FWIW I think setting this variable to something like 3 makes sense.

--
Bastien

* Re: many IncomingXXXXX files left in ~/Mail
@ 2008-02-16 13:04       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-02-16 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: ding

On Sat, Jan 05 2008, Reiner Steib wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 04 2008, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
>> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>>   > Although I wouldn't mind to change it to some number, say 7
>>   > or 14 days.  This question came up quite often recently.  Opinions?
>>
>> Please do. I don't think most people want to think about setting yet
>> another variable, and remember to remove it later.
>
> I'll wait a couple of days to hear more/other opinions.
>
> BTW, allowing an integer is rather new (2003-02-24), so it might make
> sense to set it to a small integer value (1..3) also for stable
> versions.  What do people think?

I changed it as follows in trunk and v5-10:

(defcustom mail-source-delete-incoming
  10 ;; development versions
  ;; 2 ;; released versions
[...]