* idea for sending a recipient name correction back to e-mail author
@ 2007-09-20 13:53 Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2007-09-20 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've often had my name misspelled.  It would be nice if I could reply to
someone with a message, using a

header (indicating the misspelled address).  Obviously the From header
would indicate the correct spelling.  The e-mail address has to be the
same, so you can't indicate an e-mail address change (in this version),
only a misspelled name.  Gnus would notice the header and ask if BBDB or
other address books need to be corrected (so this would require some
changes to accomodate address book backends).

Any suggestions?  Good idea, bad idea?

Ted

* Re: idea for sending a recipient name correction back to e-mail author
@ 2007-09-24 13:35 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2007-09-24 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I've often had my name misspelled.  It would be nice if I could reply to
> someone with a message, using a

> header (indicating the misspelled address).  Obviously the From header
> would indicate the correct spelling.  The e-mail address has to be the
> same, so you can't indicate an e-mail address change (in this version),
> only a misspelled name.  Gnus would notice the header and ask if BBDB or
> other address books need to be corrected (so this would require some
> changes to accomodate address book backends).
>
> Any suggestions?  Good idea, bad idea?

How about sending a vcard instead, and have bbdb recognize it, and do a
similar action?  It would be somewhat more standards-conforming than
using another X- header.  And it would have the capability to correct
other kind of information than just the name too.

/Simon

* Re: idea for sending a recipient name correction back to e-mail author
@ 2007-09-27 13:37   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2007-09-27 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:35:10 +0200 Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> wrote:

SJ> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> I've often had my name misspelled.  It would be nice if I could reply to
>> someone with a message, using a

>> header (indicating the misspelled address).  Obviously the From header
>> would indicate the correct spelling.  The e-mail address has to be the
>> same, so you can't indicate an e-mail address change (in this version),
>> only a misspelled name.  Gnus would notice the header and ask if BBDB or
>> other address books need to be corrected (so this would require some
>> changes to accomodate address book backends).
>>
>> Any suggestions?  Good idea, bad idea?

SJ> How about sending a vcard instead, and have bbdb recognize it, and do a
SJ> similar action?  It would be somewhat more standards-conforming than
SJ> using another X- header.  And it would have the capability to correct
SJ> other kind of information than just the name too.

Works for me, as long as there's a specific "you've misspelled my name"
action associated with the vcard (perhaps as the MIME type or something
else), rather than "here is my contact info."

Does Gnus+BBDB recognize vcards now, or is this entirely new code?  I've
never used vcards so I don't know much about their interaction with BBDB
or Gnus.

@ 2007-09-27 18:47 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-09-27 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[ Resent. ]

On Thu, Sep 20 2007, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> I've often had my name misspelled.  It would be nice if I could reply to
> someone with a message, using a

> header (indicating the misspelled address).  Obviously the From header
> would indicate the correct spelling.  The e-mail address has to be the
> same, so you can't indicate an e-mail address change (in this version),
> only a misspelled name.  Gnus would notice the header and ask if BBDB or
> other address books need to be corrected

BBDB already asks:

,----[ <f1> v bbdb-quiet-about-name-mismatches RET ]
| bbdb-quiet-about-name-mismatches is a variable defined in `bbdb.el'.
| Its value is nil
|
| Documentation:
| *If this is true, then BBDB will not prompt you when it notices a
| name change, that is, when the "real name" in a message doesn't correspond
| to a record already in the database with the same network address.  As in,
| "John Smith <jqs@frob.com>" versus "John Q. Smith <jqs@frob.com>".
| Normally you will be asked if you want to change it.
| If set to a number it is the number of seconds to sit for while
| displaying the mismatch message.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: idea for sending a recipient name correction back to e-mail author
@ 2007-09-27 19:57   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2007-09-27 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 20:47:24 +0200 Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:

RS> [ Resent. ]
RS> On Thu, Sep 20 2007, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

>> I've often had my name misspelled.  It would be nice if I could reply to
>> someone with a message, using a

>> header (indicating the misspelled address).  Obviously the From header
>> would indicate the correct spelling.  The e-mail address has to be the
>> same, so you can't indicate an e-mail address change (in this version),
>> only a misspelled name.  Gnus would notice the header and ask if BBDB or
>> other address books need to be corrected

RS> BBDB already asks:

RS> ,----[ <f1> v bbdb-quiet-about-name-mismatches RET ]
RS> | bbdb-quiet-about-name-mismatches is a variable defined in `bbdb.el'.
RS> | Its value is nil
RS> |
RS> | Documentation:
RS> | *If this is true, then BBDB will not prompt you when it notices a
RS> | name change, that is, when the "real name" in a message doesn't correspond
RS> | to a record already in the database with the same network address.  As in,
RS> | "John Smith <jqs@frob.com>" versus "John Q. Smith <jqs@frob.com>".
RS> | Normally you will be asked if you want to change it.
RS> | If set to a number it is the number of seconds to sit for while
RS> | displaying the mismatch message.
RS> |
RS> | You can customize this variable.
RS> `----

BBDB name change prompting is very different, although useful: it's a
passive mechanism that notices discrepancies, and it augments rather
than replaces the record.  I want an active mechanism to replace wrong
name data, for when I keep seeing my name misspelled and it annoys me.

Ted