* Lost rfc2047 decoding in the summary buffer (test æøå)
@ 2006-12-28  7:18 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2006-12-28  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Platform: Intel Pentium M,
	  Ubuntu Dapper,
	  emacs21 21.4a-3ubuntu2,
	  No Gnus v0.6 (CVS update from yesterday)

I updated from CVS yesterday, for the first time since May 1.  And
then Gnus stopped decoding RFC2047 in the subject fields (this article
has RFC2047 coding in the headers and will hopefully trigger the issue
with me).

In the article buffer the subject is decoded properly.

Any idea what causes this?  Something in my settings?  Or something in
Gnus?

Thanx!

- Steinar

* Re: Lost rfc2047 decoding in the summary buffer (test æøå)
@ 2006-12-28  7:51 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2006-12-28  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Platform: Intel Pentium M,
> 	  Ubuntu Dapper,
> 	  emacs21 21.4a-3ubuntu2,
> 	  No Gnus v0.6 (CVS update from yesterday)

> I updated from CVS yesterday, for the first time since May 1.  And
> then Gnus stopped decoding RFC2047 in the subject fields (this
> article has RFC2047 coding in the headers and will hopefully trigger
> the issue with me).

Yes, it does.

* Re: Lost rfc2047 decoding in the summary buffer (test æøå)
@ 2006-12-28  8:42   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-12-28  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Dec 28 2006, Steinar Bang wrote:

>> 	  emacs21 21.4a-3ubuntu2,
>> 	  No Gnus v0.6 (CVS update from yesterday)
>
>> I updated from CVS yesterday, for the first time since May 1.  And
>> then Gnus stopped decoding RFC2047 in the subject fields (this
>> article has RFC2047 coding in the headers and will hopefully trigger
>> the issue with me).
>
> Yes, it does.

I cannot reproduce this with Emacs 21.  Could you try to reproduce
with a minimal Gnus setup and/or check for any relevant
customizations?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Lost rfc2047 decoding in the summary buffer (test æøå)
@ 2006-12-28 14:48     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2006-12-28 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I cannot reproduce this with Emacs 21.

In other words: this article shows "(test æøå)", instead of "(test
=?iso-8859-1?Q?=E6=F8=E5=29?=" at the end of the subject in the
summary buffer?

> Could you try to reproduce with a minimal Gnus setup and/or check
> for any relevant customizations?

Hm... how do I create a minimal Gnus setup, without messing up my
current setup?  Create a different user account?

* Re: Lost rfc2047 decoding in the summary buffer (test æøå)
@ 2006-12-28 15:35       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-12-28 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I cannot reproduce this with Emacs 21.
>
> In other words: this article shows "(test æøå)", instead of "(test
> =?iso-8859-1?Q?=E6=F8=E5=29?=" at the end of the subject in the
> summary buffer?

Yes.

>> Could you try to reproduce with a minimal Gnus setup and/or check
>> for any relevant customizations?
>
> Hm... how do I create a minimal Gnus setup, without messing up my
> current setup?  Create a different user account?

That's option 1.  Option 2 is to create a new home directory for this
Emacs session:

emacs_test=~/path/to/my/emacs_test
mkdir -p $emacs_test
cd $emacs_test
ln -s ~/.Xauthority .
HOME=$PWD emacs &

The .emacs and .gnus.el files in $emacs_test should only contain
minimal settings (e.g. `load-path' for Gnus, `gnus-select-method').

Option 3 is to set `gnus-home-directory' to the value of $emacs_test
within Emacs before loading ~/.gnus.el or maybe better start from
"emacs -q".

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Lost rfc2047 decoding in the summary buffer (test æøå)
@ 2006-12-30 11:04         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2006-12-30 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Hm... how do I create a minimal Gnus setup, without messing up my
>> current setup?  Create a different user account?

> That's option 1.

Ok.  I did option 1, and then I didn't see the problem.

So it's something in my setup.

I thought I had encountered something similar earlier.  This is the
closest I've found so far:
	http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/51367

(The 20247 bit there is probably not relevant, since that was due to a
too old version of mule-ucs, and right now things work with a minimal
setup)

* Re: Lost rfc2047 decoding in the summary buffer (test æøå)
@ 2006-12-30 12:16           ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2006-12-30 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Dec 30 2006, Steinar Bang wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>
>>> Hm... how do I create a minimal Gnus setup, without messing up my
>>> current setup?  Create a different user account?
>
>> That's option 1.
>
> Ok.  I did option 1, and then I didn't see the problem.
>
> So it's something in my setup.

Then you should be able to find the offending part of your setup by
bisection (~/.emacs and ~/.gnus.el).  Or move parts of your setup to
the second account and see which part triggers the problem.

You may also try to find by bisection which change in CVS (since May;
use -D option of cvs) triggers the problem.  But unless we can't
reproduce it (i.e. find the relevant part of your setup), it's
probably hard to find a fix.  (The most likely file is gnus-sum.el,
but it may be somewhere else.)

Is the problem only in the summary?  Do you also see problem in the
article buffer e.g. with UTF-8 articles?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Lost rfc2047 decoding in the summary buffer (test æøå)
@ 2006-12-30 12:37             ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2006-12-30 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Then you should be able to find the offending part of your setup by
> bisection (~/.emacs and ~/.gnus.el).  Or move parts of your setup to
> the second account and see which part triggers the problem.

Yes, that's what I planned to do.  Or actually I was planning to chop
away parts of my own setup until the problem went away.

[snip!]
> Is the problem only in the summary?  Do you also see problem in the
> article buffer e.g. with UTF-8 articles?

Only in the summary.  In the article buffer it is decoded ok.

* Re: Lost rfc2047 decoding in the summary buffer (test æøå)
@ 2006-12-30 13:27               ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2006-12-30 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Then you should be able to find the offending part of your setup by
>> bisection (~/.emacs and ~/.gnus.el).  Or move parts of your setup to
>> the second account and see which part triggers the problem.

> Yes, that's what I planned to do.  Or actually I was planning to chop
> away parts of my own setup until the problem went away.

Hm... when starting a new emacs process, and running Gnus in emacs,
the problem has mysteriously gone away.

But the problems opening groups on the NNTP primary server persists:

This problem predates the CVS update, however.  It was actually the
reason I did the update.

So I suspect a corrupted .newsrc.eld... or perhaps it is something in
the agent data...?