Here's a patch I've been using to fall back to text/plain parts if w3 fails to render. It should work with any viewers which fail, to fall back to the non-preferred part. 2004-11-06 Alan Shutko * mm-view.el (mm-inline-text-html-render-with-w3): Don't catch the w3 error. Instead, let it propagate so that higher-levels can decide what to do. * gnus-art.el (gnus-mime-display-alternative): If a viewer fails, try the non-preferred part. -- Alan Shutko - I am the rocks. Remember, what you don't mean can't hurt you.