* Need tips on Gnus and Exchange
@ 2004-07-07 17:42 Jack Twilley
From: Jack Twilley @ 2004-07-07 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Need tips on Gnus and Exchange
@ 2004-07-07 20:30 ` Marcus Frings
From: Marcus Frings @ 2004-07-07 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Jack Twilley <jmt+usenet@twilley.org> wrote:

> It's a shame that there's no clear web page out there that Google
> finds when searching on "gnus microsoft exchange".

Oh, there have been some dubious hacker attempts on the web to make
Gnus talk to an Exchange server in its native way but AFAIK they all
don't really work.

> Are there any hidden bits of documentation on installing and
> configuring Gnus to replace the mail component of Microsoft Outlook
> when connecting to a Microsoft Exchange server?

AFAIK there are plans to add Exchange's native protocol to future Gnus
versions but I don't know if anyone has started to work on it. Try to
find a thread with postings of Kai Grossjohann and me in this
group.

Ah, I have already googled for you:

<http://groups.google.de/groups?as_q=gnus%20exchange%20mapi&ie=UTF-8&as_uauthors=marcus%20frings&lr=&hl=de>

> I've tried a few items, and they fail, and there's no real obvious
> debug buffers or anything, so I'm SOL.  Any assistance would be dearly
> appreciated.

In the meantime offer your mail admin chocolate/beer/women and ask him
kindly whether he wants to enable IMAP and SMTP on the Exchange server
for you.

Regards,
Marcus
--
"Do we take prisoners?" - "No. Kill all they send... And they will stop coming!"

* Re: Need tips on Gnus and Exchange
@ 2004-07-08  5:36 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2004-07-08  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

[snip!]
> I've tried a few items, and they fail, and there's no real obvious
> debug buffers or anything, so I'm SOL.  Any assistance would be
> dearly appreciated.

What are you attempting to do?  POP3?  IMAP?  SMTP?

If the Exchange server has been set up with IMAP connectivity, using
plaintext passwords, you can open groups on it, just like any old IMAP
server.

The simplest way to create the groups, is to open the Exchange server
as an IMAP server in the server buffer, and then open the server and
subscribe to the groups you want.