* Changing *name* of newsserver
@ 2004-03-07 10:55 Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2004-03-07 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

The newsserver I'm getting news from has changed its name (from
"news.cis.dfn.de" to "news.individual.net"). Fortunately they did
*not* change the news spool and the article numbering :-)

So I did the following:
backup
edited .gnus.el and .authinfo
renamed directory ~/News/agent/nntp/news.cis.dfn.de/ to
~/News/agent/nntp/news.individual.net/

Despite a few articles which appear as "undownloaded" in summary buffers
(which at least for some of them is not true, as I *can* read them offline)
everything seams to work fine.

Is this The Right Way to do this?  Did I forget something?
(I don't care about the few "undownloaded" articles)

Thank you, Robert.

* Re: Changing *name* of newsserver
@ 2004-03-07 11:44 ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-03-07 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  7 mar 2004, Robert Epprecht wrote:

> The newsserver I'm getting news from has changed its name (from
> "news.cis.dfn.de" to "news.individual.net"). Fortunately they did
> *not* change the news spool and the article numbering :-)
>
> So I did the following:
> backup
> edited .gnus.el and .authinfo
> renamed directory ~/News/agent/nntp/news.cis.dfn.de/ to
> ~/News/agent/nntp/news.individual.net/
>
> Despite a few articles which appear as "undownloaded" in summary
> buffers (which at least for some of them is not true, as I *can* read
> them offline) everything seams to work fine.
>
> Is this The Right Way to do this?  Did I forget something?
> (I don't care about the few "undownloaded" articles)

I would have recommended you to check in gnus-mov.el and see
how you could have done that.

Depending on your number of subscribed newsgroup, you could
have tried `gnus-group-move-group-to-server`.

zeDek
--
  "GNU is my religion"

.O.  Xavier Maillard
..O   Reims - France
OOO  +33 6 68 04 64 37

* Re: Changing *name* of newsserver
@ 2004-03-07 14:56   ` Robert Epprecht
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2004-03-07 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> On  7 mar 2004, Robert Epprecht wrote:
>
>> The newsserver I'm getting news from has changed its name (from
>> "news.cis.dfn.de" to "news.individual.net"). Fortunately they did
>> *not* change the news spool and the article numbering :-)
>>
>> So I did the following:
>> backup
>> edited .gnus.el and .authinfo
>> renamed directory ~/News/agent/nntp/news.cis.dfn.de/ to
>> ~/News/agent/nntp/news.individual.net/
>>
>> Despite a few articles which appear as "undownloaded" in summary
>> buffers (which at least for some of them is not true, as I *can* read
>> them offline) everything seams to work fine.
>>
>> Is this The Right Way to do this?  Did I forget something?
>> (I don't care about the few "undownloaded" articles)
>
> I would have recommended you to check in gnus-mov.el and see
> how you could have done that.

Reading info node 'Changing Servers' and peeking at the code in
gnus-mov.el I didn't have the impression, that this is what I need.
I did not change the news-server, only it's *name* changed. Article
numbers are preserved. I do not have access to the server under the old
name any more, so I have the impression that the functions in gnus-mov.el
do not apply here, and would be overkill for my situation anyway.

So I did it by hand, and it seems to work so far.

Robert Epprecht

* Re: Changing *name* of newsserver
@ 2004-03-07 16:36     ` Jørn Helge B. Dahl
From: Jørn Helge B. Dahl @ 2004-03-07 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Robert Epprecht <epprecht@solnet.ch>

> So I did it by hand, and it seems to work so far.

I don't know if this makes you more comfortable, but I have had a couple
of name switches with nnimap (have a fairly «dynamic» setup at work :-))
and it works flawlessly here.

Since more can go wrong with nnimap, I guess, I think you are ground
that are, if not safe, at least not shaking that high on the Richter
scale.

--
Jørn Helge B. Dahl

* Re: Changing *name* of newsserver
@ 2004-03-08 11:53 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2004-03-08 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004, epprecht@solnet.ch wrote:

> The newsserver I'm getting news from has changed its name (from
> "news.cis.dfn.de" to "news.individual.net"). Fortunately they did
> *not* change the news spool and the article numbering :-)
>
> So I did the following:
> backup
> edited .gnus.el and .authinfo
> renamed directory ~/News/agent/nntp/news.cis.dfn.de/ to
> ~/News/agent/nntp/news.individual.net/
>
> Is this The Right Way to do this?  Did I forget something?
> (I don't care about the few "undownloaded" articles)

I don't use the agent, so for me this was simply

perl -p -i.bak -e 's/cis\.dfn\.de/individual.net/' ~/.newsrc.eld ~/.gnus.el ~/.authinfo

and that has worked perfectly so far.

Ted