When using Gnus with an IMAP mail-source, it goes through, reads one message at a time, sorts them away, and then tries to do a bulk delete of all of the messages it's read. This is all fine and within the bounds of the IMAP spec; unfortunately, not all software is. I somewhat regularly wind up using an imtest binary with a 500-byte line limit, and if I get around that, the local server has a 16K line limit, which I do run into with enough mail. It'd be nice if there was a switch or fallback mode or something such that Gnus didn't always lose in exciting ways when it hit this. The "I'm away for a week so it's sure to die, slow and correct is better than fast and broken" patch is: