From: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
Subject: Re: selective (gnus-group-get-new-news t) -- possible?
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 00:43:51 -0800	[thread overview]

> Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com> writes:
>
>> I've got two select methods: one IMAP server and one NNTP server.  New
>> articles do not show up in the IMAP groups unless I use
>> (gnus-group-get-new-news t).  However, the NNTP server does not have
>> this problem.  I'd like not to have to read 300K of active file over a
>> cross-country link every time I hit 'g'.  Is there any way to get the
>> effect of the 't' argument for just the IMAP server?
>
> Use group levels -- put all the nntp groups on a level that `g' won't
> activate automatically.

Doesn't work.  From the documentation:

  (gnus-group-get-new-news &optional ARG)

  ... If ARG is non-nil and not a number, this will force "hard"
  re-reading of the active files from all servers.

The "hard" rereading effect does not happen with a numeric argument
(or using the default activation level).  I need the "hard" rereading
effect applied to the IMAP server, or no new articles show up in those
groups.

zw