From: Andrew Cohen <acohen@ust.hk>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: compose new message in new frame
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 07:46:56 +0800	[thread overview]

    ESF> On Saturday, 10 Jun 2023 at 21:41, Andrew Cohen wrote:
    >> You have to include the explicit config for it. For example I use
    >> something like this (and similar things for reply, reply-yank,
    >> and forward):

    ESF> Thank you.

    ESF> What you are using is what the manual suggests and I had
    ESF> actually tried that already.  However, it doesn't work for me
    ESF> for some reason.  What I get is that the new frame is created
    ESF> with the summary or group configuration and the original frame
    ESF> (which no longer has focus) has the message composition buffer.
    ESF> So basically the wrong way around.

That is odd (FWIW I have been using this for years without trouble). My
only guess is somehow the group and summary buffer configurations have
been modified from the default so that frobbing them might not do the
right thing. You might play around (although you might have already
tried) with explicit configurations to see what you can control. That
is, instead of using (car (cdr (assoc 'group
gnus-buffer-configuration))) (and ditto for the summary configuration)
just try an explicit split, for example:

(gnus-add-configuration
 '(message
   (frame 1.0
          (vertical  1.0
                    (summary 1.0))
          (vertical ((user-position . t) (top . 1) (left . 1)
                     (name . "Message"))
                    (message 1.0 point)))))
and see what happens. Does it still swap the frames?

--
Andrew Cohen