* gnus-summary-delete-article: The current newsgroup does not support article deletion
@ 2021-09-15  3:46 Rajeev Gore
From: Rajeev Gore @ 2021-09-15  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding, rpg

Hi all,

I am a newcomer to gnus as a mail-reader but am familiar with emacs
itself.

I have around 7000 emails in my Inbox and most of them are marked E for
expirable as I do so deliberately.

I have not set auto-expire or any other expire feature but wish to rely
on emacs to delete the Expired emails automatically after 7 days.

But the emails are not being deleted at all.

The first thing I checked was the permissions on the Inbox and I
definitely have read and write permission. Nobody else does.

Moreover, B e also does not work but gives me the message in the subject
line:
gnus-summary-delete-article: The current newsgroup does not support article deletion.

I have RTFMed and done quite a lot of searching on the web to no avail.

I suspect that I need to set some magical variable that I do not know
about, but am at a loss.

Any help appreciated.

thanks,
raj

* Re: gnus-summary-delete-article: The current newsgroup does not support article deletion
@ 2021-09-16  7:48 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-09-16  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wednesday, 15 Sep 2021 at 13:46, Rajeev Gore wrote:
> Moreover, B e also does not work but gives me the message in the
> subject line: gnus-summary-delete-article: The current newsgroup does
> not support article deletion.

What does "B DEL" do on an article you would wish to delete?  (DEL being
the Delete key)

More importantly, what type of group/server are you using?  nnimap,
nnml, nntp?

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.4.6 on Debian 11.0

* Re: gnus-summary-delete-article: The current newsgroup does not support article deletion
@ 2021-09-24  4:07     ` Rajeev Gore
From: Rajeev Gore @ 2021-09-24  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding, rpg

Hi Eric,

thanks. I found this in a tutorial:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusTutorial#h5o-35
> One way of getting at your old mail is to type G f, and to then enter
> the name of your old mail file. This provides read-only access to your
> mails. For some people, this might be sufficient. (With G f, you have
> created an nndoc group.)

I am using Gf but then getting only read-access, exactly as you
explained.

@ 2021-09-23 15:38   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2021-09-23 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rajeev Gore; +Cc: ding

Rajeev Gore <rajeev.gore@anu.edu.au> writes:

> Sorry for not answering your other question Eric.
>
> B Del gives me the same error ie in the subject.
>
> I just realised that I might be missing the point of gnus.

The problem is that you're working on an NNTP server, which is a "news"
server, meaning that you don't own the articles. Essentially you're
looking a big public archive, and you don't have permissions to change
the archive (apart from sending messages in). You can make additional
local copies of the articles, but that's it -- that's how it's supposed
to work.

> I have moved across from vm and so I am used to having one giant inbox
> file with assorted other files for senders say.
>
> I have therefore tried to emulate this style by storing my inbox in
> RMail format.
>
> So suppose the file is called GnusMail.
>
> I do a G f on the file to fire up a server and then mark messages as E
> when I have read them.
>
> I expected B e to directly delete emails from the GnusMail file itself.
>
> But perhaps I have misunderstood how gnus works.
>
> By the way, there is another annoying thing.
>
> When I say o to try to move an email from GnusMail to another folder,
> gnus insists on making the default contain a nndoc+ as part of the path.
> But I am trying to store my emails in something like ~/MAIL rather than
> ~/Mail and the nndoc+ just gets in the way!

You can look at the value of `gnus-default-article-saver' to change the
default behavior.

* Re: gnus-summary-delete-article: The current newsgroup does not support article deletion
@ 2021-09-23 11:45   ` Rajeev Gore
From: Rajeev Gore @ 2021-09-23 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding, rpg

P.S. the "show all" command is not the problem as removing it still gave
me the same error.

* Re: gnus-summary-delete-article: The current newsgroup does not support article deletion
@ 2021-09-23 11:41 ` Rajeev Gore
From: Rajeev Gore @ 2021-09-23 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding, rpg

@ 2021-09-23 11:31 Rajeev Gore
From: Rajeev Gore @ 2021-09-23 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding, rpg

Hi Eric,

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nntp "news.gnus.org"))

It just occurred to me that it might be this:
(setq gnus-parameters '((".*" (display . all))))

Is it possible that the "display all" turns off article deletion?

thanks,
raj