* gwene fingerprint changed
@ 2021-01-11  8:28 Prateek Sadhukhan
From: Prateek Sadhukhan @ 2021-01-11  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I searched over the net but could not find anything related so here goes.

I access my newsgroups using news.gwene.org. Offlate when I start gnus,
I am getting a message that the fingerprint has changed and whether I want
to still connect. It gives me an option whether I want to accept the
certificate only for this session or permanently etc.

Is this anything to worry about?

Regards,
Prateek

* Re: gwene fingerprint changed
@ 2021-01-11 17:56 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2021-01-11 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prateek Sadhukhan; +Cc: ding

Prateek Sadhukhan <psadhukh@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I searched over the net but could not find anything related so here goes.
>
> I access my newsgroups using news.gwene.org. Offlate when I start gnus,
> I am getting a message that the fingerprint has changed and whether I want
> to still connect. It gives me an option whether I want to accept the
> certificate only for this session or permanently etc.
>
> Is this anything to worry about?

That means that the certificate that news.gwene.org has changed, as it
does every 3 months. If the message youʼre getting identifies the
certificate as belonging to gwene.org, then youʼre ok. If not, someone
might be trying to intercept traffic, or thereʼs a misconfigured https
proxy in the middle somewhere.

Robert

* Re: gwene fingerprint changed
@ 2021-01-11 18:16 ` James Cloos
From: James Cloos @ 2021-01-11 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prateek Sadhukhan; +Cc: ding

PS> I access my newsgroups using news.gwene.org. Offlate when I start gnus,
PS> I am getting a message that the fingerprint has changed and whether I want
PS> to still connect.

PS> Is this anything to worry about?

no.

they use lets encrypt for the tls certs, which update every two to three
months.  most le clients also create new private keys for each new cert,
to improve security.

it is normal for gnus to make that request every couple of months or so.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6

* Re: gwene fingerprint changed