* How do you manage the "nndraft:queue" folder?
@ 2016-06-08 11:03 Live System User
       [not found] ` <cc6e3c74632b4bdba42efa4e2405b7b4@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Live System User @ 2016-06-08 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: Live System User

Hi,

      How does one manage the "nndraft:queue" folder?

      Is there a way for Gnus to indicate to you that there
      are messages queued in the "nndraft:queue" folder that
      need processing either notifying periodically and/or
      when subsequently invoking Gnus again later on?  I only
      noticed that there was a message in my "nndraft:queue"
      folder" because of a problem that I tried to report that
      hung while sending and had to C-g and tried again and got
      the message:

             Denied posting -- multiple copies

     The "*unsent..." buffer remained.

     If there are multiple messages in the "nndraft:queue" folder,
     is there a way to *ONLY* send particular queued messages or
     is it an all-or-nothing situation?  Is it possible to mark
     some messages then having *only* those messages sent?

     Can you manually queue a newly composed message *without* it
     being sent immediately?  Can you set some option temporarily
     so that all subsequent messages get queued until you change
     that option to say "deliver any newly created messages now
     but not any that were already queued beforehand"?

     How can one setup Gnus to send messages base on a condition(s)
     like when on Wi-Fi, between specific hours, when on ethernet
     and the size of the message is greater than a particular
     threshold, etc.?

     Are these possible to do with Gnus *without* requiring the
     use of a local SMTP server?

     Thanks.

* Re: How do you manage the "nndraft:queue" folder?
@ 2016-06-09  1:27 ` Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found] ` <cc6e3c74632b4bdba42efa4e2405b7b4@HE1PR01MB1898.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-06-09  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Live System User <nyc4bos@aol.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
>       How does one manage the "nndraft:queue" folder?

Sent messages go into the queue when Gnus is in an "unplugged" state.
You can toggle the plugged state with the "J j" binding in the *Group*
buffer. When Gnus is plugged, you can send everything in the queue
folder with "J S".

>       Is there a way for Gnus to indicate to you that there
>       are messages queued in the "nndraft:queue" folder that
>       need processing either notifying periodically and/or
>       when subsequently invoking Gnus again later on?  I only
>       noticed that there was a message in my "nndraft:queue"
>       folder" because of a problem that I tried to report that
>       hung while sending and had to C-g and tried again and got
>       the message:
>
>              Denied posting -- multiple copies
>
>      The "*unsent..." buffer remained.

There should be an "unread message" count on the queue group, same as
other groups.

>      If there are multiple messages in the "nndraft:queue" folder,
>      is there a way to *ONLY* send particular queued messages or
>      is it an all-or-nothing situation?  Is it possible to mark
>      some messages then having *only* those messages sent?

I haven't tried this, but it's likely that the regular draft commands
work in the queue as well. Try going into the queue group and using "D
s" on a message you want to send.

>      Can you manually queue a newly composed message *without* it
>      being sent immediately?  Can you set some option temporarily
>      so that all subsequent messages get queued until you change
>      that option to say "deliver any newly created messages now
>      but not any that were already queued beforehand"?

Toggling the plugged state is the normal way to do this: toggle
unplugged, send a bunch of messages, toggle plugged, then send the
queue. Another option is delaying the messages: see the "Delayed
Articles" section of the Gnus manual.

>      How can one setup Gnus to send messages base on a condition(s)
>      like when on Wi-Fi, between specific hours, when on ethernet
>      and the size of the message is greater than a particular
>      threshold, etc.?

You'd need to do this yourself: set up a timer, and run a function on
the timer that checks for your condition.

>      Are these possible to do with Gnus *without* requiring the
>      use of a local SMTP server?

You always need a SMTP server, but it doesn't need to be local.

@ 2016-06-09  6:37   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-06-09  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

On Thursday,  9 Jun 2016 at 01:27, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

[...]

> Sent messages go into the queue when Gnus is in an "unplugged" state.
> You can toggle the plugged state with the "J j" binding in the *Group*
> buffer. When Gnus is plugged, you can send everything in the queue
> folder with "J S".

Surprisingly (to me), "J S" sends everything in the queue whether or
not gnus is plugged.

--
Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D)

* Re: How do you manage the "nndraft:queue" folder?
@ 2016-06-09 14:48   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-06-09 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
writes:

>> Are these possible to do with Gnus *without*
>> requiring the use of a local SMTP server?
>
> You always need a SMTP server, but it doesn't
> need to be local.

Ha ha :)

Good post!

                   - so far: 48 Blogomatic articles -

* Re: How do you manage the "nndraft:queue" folder?
@ 2016-06-11 11:33     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-06-11 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Thursday,  9 Jun 2016 at 01:27, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Sent messages go into the queue when Gnus is in an "unplugged" state.
>> You can toggle the plugged state with the "J j" binding in the *Group*
>> buffer. When Gnus is plugged, you can send everything in the queue
>> folder with "J S".
>
> Surprisingly (to me), "J S" sends everything in the queue whether or
> not gnus is plugged.

Well that is weird -- I had never tried. Seems like it should at least
prompt to switch Gnus to plugged before it does that.