* Re: How to prevent gnus from always downloading full index
       [not found]   ` <87h9i9x0s8.fsf@tullinup.koldfront.dk>
@ 2016-01-19 14:49     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-01-19 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tuesday, 19 Jan 2016 at 12:32, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

[...]

>   gnus-keep-backlog 'nil
>   gnus-keep-backlog '0
>
> I have it set to 20. I think 'nil and '0 are weird values to use - nil
> or 0 would make more sense, but keeping the default 20 maybe even more :-)

I wonder whether quoting a 0 means all emails are stored for
re-retrieval, i.e. equivalent to a non-nil non-number entry as the
documentation mentions.  Not a good idea, if so.

By the way, does anybody have any idea of what a good setting for this
variable may be?  I have the default of 20 simply because I didn't know
about this variable.  I ask now only because 20 may have been a good
setting in the mid 90s of the last century but maybe 1000 (say) could be
appropriate and effective now.  I have plenty of memory and disc space
that could be used to offset the horrendous latency imposed by MS Live
servers...

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.5.1 + Ma Gnus v0.14 + evil-git-ff74cfb

* Re: How to prevent gnus from always downloading full index
@ 2016-01-19 15:21       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-01-19 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric writes:

> By the way, does anybody have any idea of what a good setting for this
> variable may be?  I have the default of 20 simply because I didn't know
> about this variable.  I ask now only because 20 may have been a good
> setting in the mid 90s of the last century but maybe 1000 (say) could be
> appropriate and effective now.  I have plenty of memory and disc space
> that could be used to offset the horrendous latency imposed by MS Live
> servers...

I hope you do some experimentation and report back!

(I'm using IMAP as POP3 and downloading all emails to local disk when I
have to talk to Microsoft Exchange...)

  Best regards,

   Adam

--
 "Bara russin, ingen kaka"                                    Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: How to prevent gnus from always downloading full index
@ 2016-01-19 17:03         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-01-19 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tuesday, 19 Jan 2016 at 16:21, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
> I hope you do some experimentation and report back!

Okay, I'll play...  Not sure how to quantify any effects but I will set
the variable to 1000 and see what happens over a week or two.  I'll
report back then.

> (I'm using IMAP as POP3 and downloading all emails to local disk when I
> have to talk to Microsoft Exchange...)

Yes, tempting but difficult in my situation due to a number of other
factors.  It's what I used to do and very happily in fact.

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 25.1.50.2 + Ma Gnus v0.14 + evil-git-ff74cfb

* Re: How to prevent gnus from always downloading full index
@ 2016-01-19 18:05       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2016-01-19 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Tuesday, 19 Jan 2016 at 12:32, Adam Sjøgren wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>   gnus-keep-backlog 'nil
>>   gnus-keep-backlog '0
>>
>> I have it set to 20. I think 'nil and '0 are weird values to use - nil
>> or 0 would make more sense, but keeping the default 20 maybe even more :-)
>
> I wonder whether quoting a 0 means all emails are stored for
> re-retrieval, i.e. equivalent to a non-nil non-number entry as the
> documentation mentions.  Not a good idea, if so.

Both values are evaluated, but since nil and 0 are self-evaluating the
quote is redundant.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org