From: lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: dealing with separate accounts separately in gnus
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 22:45:44 +0200	[thread overview]

> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> suppose I have several email accounts.  I would like to treat these
>> accounts completely separately from each other in gnus.
>>
>> One of these accounts gets incoming email from an imap server and uses
>> nnml for storage.  It's my default account which I'm using now.
>>
>> Another one would be an account on a remote imap server and not be
>> supposed to store or do anything with the nnml storage or to interfere
>> with mail splitting, and I don't want the mails to be mixed up in any
>> way.  It would suffice to have the other account show up as a group in
>> the group buffer.
>>
>> Is this even possible with gnus?
>
> I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking, but it sounds
> like you want a pretty normal setup, with two servers.

It's anything but "normal" for me to have multiple email accounts ...

> You've already got one server, just add another nnimap server.

The server I already have is the mail-source:

(setq mail-sources
      '((imap :server "jarl.yagibdah.de" :stream ssl)))

All mail is stored in nnml storage.  Gnus takes it from the server and
splits it.  I'm not doing anything on this IMAP server but taking the
incoming emails from it.

The second account must not interfere in any way with this.

> By default nnimap doesn't store anything locally, it just contacts the
> remote server, and splitting won't occur at all if you don't set
> nnimap-split-methods as a server parameter (you may also need to omit
> the nnimap-inbox parameter, but I'm not sure about that).

I have (setq nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy) and (setq
nnmail-split-fancy '[...]).  I've experimented with, IIRC IMAP, quite a
while ago and found that it would totally screw up the splitting because
gnus wanted/needed to be told which storage to use to put the split mail
into, and I didn't manage to tell it.

> See the "Using IMAP" section of the Gnus manual for the absolute most
> bare-bones setup.

Yes, I looked at that.  What would I set up?
'gnus-secondary-select-methods?  IIRC that would interfere badly with
what I have now.

It might have to do with gnus telling that 'gnus-select-method' is nnml.
So what is it supposed to do with mail residing on an IMAP account?  Put
it into the nnml storage (an obvious choice)?  Put mail from nnml into
the IMAP account (an extremely bad choice in this case)?  Put mail from
one IMAP account into the other (also an extremely bad choice).

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.