* HTML-mail: extracted text appears twice
@ 2014-09-04 12:39 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2014-09-04 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello

This behavior has annoyed me for some time:

When reading a html-mail (sent by GMAIL or thunderbird or whatsoever)
the text dis displayed twice and when I reply I have to delete one part
of it: something like this:

How can I change this behavior?

Hello

What you say is correct, but it would be better if you reconsider the
whole idea.

All the best

Albert

Hello

What you say is correct, but it would be better if you reconsider the whole idea.

All the best

Albert

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: HTML-mail: extracted text appears twice
@ 2014-09-05  2:05 ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2014-09-05  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Hello
> This behavior has annoyed me for some time:

> When reading a html-mail (sent by GMAIL or thunderbird or whatsoever)
> the text dis displayed twice and when I reply I have to delete one part
> of it: something like this:

> How can I change this behavior?

I've never seen this and since the primary email client at work is outlook just about all my email comes in as html, typically in the form of multipart/alternative with a plain text option as well.  Perhaps you've customized one of the variables dealing with multipart display with this bad side effect?

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: HTML-mail: extracted text appears twice
@ 2014-09-05 12:04   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2014-09-05 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

   > I've never seen this and since the primary email client at work is
   > outlook just about all my email comes in as html, typically in the
   > form of multipart/alternative with a plain text option as well.
   > Perhaps you've customized one of the variables dealing with multipart
   > display with this bad side effect?

Hm yes this could be the reason:

My setting is:

(setq gnus-mime-display-multipart-related-as-mixed t)
(setq gnus-mime-display-multipart-as-mixed t)
(setq gnus-buttonized-mime-types nil)

(setq
mm-discouraged-alternatives nil
gnus-buttonized-mime-types '("multipart/signed" "multipart/encrypted")
mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m
 mm-url-use-external t)

I added
(setq
 mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display))

And now I see things like

[3. Application/rar; Prácticas ANNU EDO's - Eduardo Mota Sánchez.rar]...

Hola Uwe,

Te envío adjunto un archivo con la resolución de las 8 hojas de prácticas
de Matlab como me pediste.
Un saludo.

[2. Text/html]

@ 2014-09-06  8:34     ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-09-06  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>    > I've never seen this and since the primary email client at work is
>    > outlook just about all my email comes in as html, typically in the
>    > form of multipart/alternative with a plain text option as well.
>    > Perhaps you've customized one of the variables dealing with multipart
>    > display with this bad side effect?
>
> Hm yes this could be the reason:
>
> My setting is:
>

> (setq gnus-mime-display-multipart-related-as-mixed t)
> (setq gnus-mime-display-multipart-as-mixed t)
> (setq gnus-buttonized-mime-types nil)
>

> (setq
> mm-discouraged-alternatives nil
> gnus-buttonized-mime-types '("multipart/signed" "multipart/encrypted")
> mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m
>  mm-url-use-external t)
>
> I added
> (setq
>  mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display))

I too have just started seeing this problem in my rss feeds, and its
always preceded by this when they are initially read
nnrss: http://www.sharons.org.uk/?feed=rss2: Not valid XML (error XML:
(Well-Formed) Invalid character) and w3-parse doesn't work
(void-function w3-parse-buffer)

I'm using the lisp stanza from http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusRss
under the heading of "Atom feeds".

Is there any solution please?

Thanks
Sharon.

> And now I see things like
>

> [3. Application/rar; Prácticas ANNU EDO's - Eduardo Mota Sánchez.rar]...
>
> Hola Uwe,
>
> Te envío adjunto un archivo con la resolución de las 8 hojas de prácticas
> de Matlab como me pediste.
> Un saludo.

> [2. Text/html]
>
> Hola Uwe,
>
> Te envío adjunto un archivo con la resolución de las 8 hojas de prácticas de Matlab como
> me pediste.
> Un saludo.

TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.93.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: HTML-mail: extracted text appears twice
@ 2014-09-06 22:23     ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2014-09-06 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> I've never seen this and since the primary email client at work is
>> outlook just about all my email comes in as html, typically in the
>> form of multipart/alternative with a plain text option as well.
>> Perhaps you've customized one of the variables dealing with multipart
>> display with this bad side effect?

> Hm yes this could be the reason:

> My setting is:

> (setq gnus-mime-display-multipart-related-as-mixed t)
> (setq gnus-mime-display-multipart-as-mixed t)
> (setq gnus-buttonized-mime-types nil)

> (setq
> mm-discouraged-alternatives nil
> gnus-buttonized-mime-types '("multipart/signed" "multipart/encrypted")
> mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m
>  mm-url-use-external t)

> I added
> (setq
>  mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display))

> And now I see things like

> [...]

I have this in my .emacs, which basically adds buttons if there's anything besides a pure text/plain message.  My view of the typical  multipart/alternative (text/plain and text/html) messages I get from outlook is something like this:

Message text here ...

If I want the html to be rendered (I use shr) which I occasionally do for dealing with forms, I middle click on the text/html button and that causes it to render in the article buffer.  When I reply with original, I get a version of whichever is being displayed in the article buffer at the time.

;;;; show the text/plain part before the text/html part in multpart/alternative

(require 'mm-decode)

(setq gnus-inhibit-mime-unbuttonizing t
      mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html"))

--

@ 2014-09-07  9:00       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2014-09-07  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding