* automarking as "E", and auto-check of rss feeds
@ 2014-07-06  9:43 Sharon Kimble
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-07-06  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Is there anyway in which every mailing list that I have can be set to
'auto-expire' and just delete old mails that are expirable without
intervention from myself please? I have this set in my .gnus -
╭────
│(setq nnmail-expiry-wait 35)
╰────
which doesn't seem to be working.

What I'm currently doing, as a workaround -
/o RET to get all old messages, then /m O RET so that you just see the "O"
messages.  Then go to the top of the buffer and do "C-u 5000 E" to mark
everything as "E". Then B-e to expire messages, and q to close the group.

What I would like is something that is auto-marking them as "E" as I've
read them, so that in the fullness of time they are expired and
deleted.

Also, when I get up in the morning and go to the gnus buffer, I press
"g" to get all available emails, which gets my pop3 emails and my imap
emails, but how can I also check for any new articles in my rss feeds
please, as this is not currently being done?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.92.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: automarking as "E", and auto-check of rss feeds
@ 2014-07-06 14:25 ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-07-06 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> /o RET to get all old messages, then /m O RET so that you just see the "O"
> messages.  Then go to the top of the buffer and do "C-u 5000 E" to mark
> everything as "E". Then B-e to expire messages, and q to close the group.

I do not know if there is a direct way with gnus, but since you have it
figure it out, you could use a keyboard macro.

Press 'F3' to start recording the macro, do everything you did, press
'F4' to finish recording the macro. Then do 'C-x C-k n' and give that
macro name, then go to your .emacs or .gnus and do 'M-x
insert-kbd-macro', it will ask you for a name, put the name you just
define. This will insert code something like this:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
  (fset 'the-name-of-the-macro
        (lambda (&optional arg) "Keyboard macro." ...
#+END_EXAMPLE

then you can assign "E" to the-name-of-the-macro in the usual way.

Best,

Jorge.

* Re: automarking as "E", and auto-check of rss feeds
@ 2014-07-06 16:04 ` Eric Abrahamsen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-07-06 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Is there anyway in which every mailing list that I have can be set to
> 'auto-expire' and just delete old mails that are expirable without
> intervention from myself please? I have this set in my .gnus -
> ╭────
> │(setq nnmail-expiry-wait 35)
> ╰────
> which doesn't seem to be working.
>
> What I'm currently doing, as a workaround -
>
> /o RET to get all old messages, then /m O RET so that you just see the "O"
> messages.  Then go to the top of the buffer and do "C-u 5000 E" to mark
> everything as "E". Then B-e to expire messages, and q to close the group.
>
> What I would like is something that is auto-marking them as "E" as I've
> read them, so that in the fullness of time they are expired and
> deleted.

You can put (auto-expire . t) in the group parameters of any group where
you want this to happen. I think it needs to be done on a per-group
basis.

> Also, when I get up in the morning and go to the gnus buffer, I press
> "g" to get all available emails, which gets my pop3 emails and my imap
> emails, but how can I also check for any new articles in my rss feeds
> please, as this is not currently being done?

Not sure about this one. Are you not able to check the feeds at all,
ever? Or is it only troublesome right after start up? What group level
is your rss group(s)?

* Re: automarking as "E", and auto-check of rss feeds
@ 2014-07-06 18:54 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2014-07-06 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: ding

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Is there anyway in which every mailing list that I have can be set to
> 'auto-expire' and just delete old mails that are expirable without
> intervention from myself please?

This is what total-expire does.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: automarking as "E", and auto-check of rss feeds
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-07-07  2:20 ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2014-07-07  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Is there anyway in which every mailing list that I have can be set to
> 'auto-expire' and just delete old mails that are expirable without
> intervention from myself please? I have this set in my .gnus -
> ╭────
> │(setq nnmail-expiry-wait 35)
> ╰────
> which doesn't seem to be working.

Take a look at the info page for Group Parameters, in particular auto-expire and total-expire.  You need one of them set for that expiry wait (which can also be set on a per group basis through parameters) to have any effect.  Which you choose (auto vs total) seems to me to be a matter of taste.  I prefer total-expire for what it's worth.  If you use topics in the Group buffer, you can set the parameters on a topic instead of per group and all the groups in the topic get those settings.  Finally, expiry only works if the expiry function gets called.  I think it happens by default on group exit but I disabled that a long time ago - probably over a decade.  I don't remember why.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: automarking as "E", and auto-check of rss feeds
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-07-07 16:51 ` Mike Kupfer
From: Mike Kupfer @ 2014-07-07 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: ding

Sharon Kimble wrote:

> Is there anyway in which every mailing list that I have can be set to
> 'auto-expire' and just delete old mails that are expirable without
> intervention from myself please?
[...]
> What I would like is something that is auto-marking them as "E" as I've
> read them, so that in the fullness of time they are expired and
> deleted.

I have all the folders that I read with Gnus until a top-level folder
called "readLater".  I get auto-marking with "E" via

  (setq gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups "readLater")

The docs say that the string can be a regexp, so to cover all your
folders, I guess you could try setting it to ".".

The messages do stick around for awhile, but Gnus eventually removes
them.

mike

* Re: automarking as "E", and auto-check of rss feeds
@ 2014-07-07 18:58   ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-07-07 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Kupfer; +Cc: Sharon Kimble, ding

On 2014-07-07 18:51 Mike Kupfer wrote:
> Sharon Kimble wrote:
>
>> Is there anyway in which every mailing list that I have can be set to
>> 'auto-expire' and just delete old mails that are expirable without
>> intervention from myself please?
> [...]
>> What I would like is something that is auto-marking them as "E" as I've
>> read them, so that in the fullness of time they are expired and
>> deleted.
>
> I have all the folders that I read with Gnus until a top-level folder
> called "readLater".  I get auto-marking with "E" via
>
>   (setq gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups "readLater")
>
> The docs say that the string can be a regexp, so to cover all your
> folders, I guess you could try setting it to ".".

That regexp will only match groups with names one character long, I
would say. You probably want ".*".

> The messages do stick around for awhile, but Gnus eventually removes
> them.
>
> mike

HTH,
--