* Referring threads seems inconsistent...
@ 2014-02-14 12:23 Matt Ford
From: Matt Ford @ 2014-02-14 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I try to leave but always end up coming back to GNUs :-)

So, I have a bunch of flagged emails in my nnimap back-end.  When I
visit the group only the flagged mails are listed.  For a bit more
context I hit A-T and sometimes nothing happens and other times it fills my
thread beautifully.

I can make the thread filling work very nicely if I do a / o followed by
/ w - subsequent issues of A T work well. I guess this some how caches
the threads and subsequent queries work.

Alternately I can do C-u Return and / m ! and then run the A T.  This
first gets the whole group and then limits the display back to the
marked articles.

Is there anyway I can make things work on normal entry.  Is this a bug?
I'm using Plugged by the way.  Perhaps its interaction affects things?
That's a guess.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

--
Matt

* Re: Referring threads seems inconsistent...
@ 2014-03-05 17:27 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-03-05 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Ford; +Cc: ding

Matt Ford <matt@dancingfrog.co.uk> writes:

> So, I have a bunch of flagged emails in my nnimap back-end.  When I
> visit the group only the flagged mails are listed.  For a bit more
> context I hit A-T and sometimes nothing happens and other times it fills my
> thread beautifully.
>
> I can make the thread filling work very nicely if I do a / o followed by
> / w - subsequent issues of A T work well. I guess this some how caches
> the threads and subsequent queries work.
>
> Alternately I can do C-u Return and / m ! and then run the A T.  This
> first gets the whole group and then limits the display back to the
> marked articles.
>
> Is there anyway I can make things work on normal entry.

It's not clear to me what you want to have happen.  >"?

Does `gnus-fetch-old-headers' do what you expect?

* Re: Referring threads seems inconsistent...
@ 2014-03-06 15:02   ` Matt Ford
From: Matt Ford @ 2014-03-06 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> It's not clear to me what you want to have happen.  >"?
>
> Does `gnus-fetch-old-headers' do what you expect?

Upon first entering a group with unread or flagged messages then running
A T on one of these messages does not pull in the rest of the thread.

A T only seems to works if the whole group is loaded first or if all older
messages are pulled in with / o.  But this kinda defeats the purpose.

Hope that's a bit clearer.

--

@ 2014-03-06 15:22     ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2014-03-06 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    Matt> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
    >> It's not clear to me what you want to have happen.  >"?
    >>
    >> Does `gnus-fetch-old-headers' do what you expect?

    Matt> Upon first entering a group with unread or flagged messages
    Matt> then running A T on one of these messages does not pull in the
    Matt> rest of the thread.

    Matt> A T only seems to works if the whole group is loaded first or
    Matt> if all older messages are pulled in with / o.  But this kinda
    Matt> defeats the purpose.

Seems to work fine for me. Some questions:

1. Is this an nnimap back end (you said this in your first message but I
   just want to be sure:))?

2. What imap server are you using? What version of gnus?

3. Are the articles in the thread in the same group, or are they coming
   from different groups?

4. What is the value of gnus-refer-thread-use-nnir?