From: Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org>
To: Carson Chittom <carson@wistly.net>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: nnimap-list-pattern doesn't work?
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 12:03:50 +0200	[thread overview]

Carson Chittom <carson@wistly.net> writes:

Hi Carson,

> I'm using Emacs 24, with the built-in Gnus.  Amongst other things, in
> ~/.gnus I have, following the manual,
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnimap "Mailserver"
>                 (nnimap-address "mail.example.com")
>                 (nnimap-stream ssl)
>                 (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX" "Mail/*")))))
>
> The nnimap-list-pattern appears to do pretty much nothing at all.

I just checked out the emacs-24 branch, and the version of Gnus included
there doesn't define `nnimap-list-pattern' at all.  So I'm rather sure
it does pretty much nothing. ;-)

Possibly, `nnimap-inbox' is what you want.

,----
| nnimap-inbox is a variable defined in `nnimap.el'.
| Its value is nil
|
| Documentation:
| The mail box where incoming mail arrives and should be split out of.
| For example, "INBOX".
|
| This is a Gnus server variable.  See Info node `(gnus)Select Methods'.
`----

In the current Ma Gnus from git, it's documented to allow also for a
list of mail box names...

> My assumption, based on the manual's sentence in section 6.5
>
>       [nnimap-list-pattern] is used when the server has very many
>       mailboxes and you're only interested in a few--some servers export
>       your home directory via IMAP, you'll probably want to limit the
>       mailboxes to those in '~/Mail/*' then.
>
> was that this meant that Gnus simply didn't worry about anything that
> wasn't specifically listed.

The Gnus manual for the built-in version of Gnus that ships with emacs
doesn't have this description and doesn't refer to `nnimap-list-pattern'
at all.  Well, except that there's an example using it in the Gnus FAQ,
which is a bug in the documentation.

Bye,
Tassilo