* Best way to tunnel pop mail through ssh?
@ 2012-02-06 18:55 Damon Haley
From: Damon Haley @ 2012-02-06 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi, I currently use fetchmail to pull mail off a host with a background
ssh process that procmail then sends to a GNUS-read mail spool.

What's the best way that I could get rid of fetchmail and procmail and
just do this in GNUS v.5.13?

Here's the fetchmailrc.

poll localhost protocol POP3 port 1235 uidl
     username cappuccino password espresso nokeep
     preconnect "tunnel-grind-pop";
mda "procmail -d %T"

Here's the preconnect script

% cat ~/bin/tunnel-grind-pop
ssh -f -L 1235:mail.grind.org:110 cappucino@bean.grind.org sleep 60

Could I do something like this with the GNUS 'prescript' function?  I'd
also like the ssh tunnel to shut down when I'm not checking mail.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Damon

p.s I'm also really looking forward to the new GNUS multi-smpt feature as right
now I use msmtp with five smtp hosts and I'd love to get those passwords
in .authinfo.gpg

* Re: Best way to tunnel pop mail through ssh?
@ 2012-02-06 23:54 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-02-06 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Damon Haley; +Cc: ding

Damon Haley <vinylisl@ssl-mail.com> writes:

> Could I do something like this with the GNUS 'prescript' function?

Yes, I think so, but I don't have a recipe handy.  Anyone?

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome

* Re: Best way to tunnel pop mail through ssh?
@ 2012-02-07 16:26   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-02-07 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: Damon Haley, ding

> Damon Haley <vinylisl@ssl-mail.com> writes:
>
>> Could I do something like this with the GNUS 'prescript' function?
>
> Yes, I think so, but I don't have a recipe handy.  Anyone?

A while ago, I have done something like this:

(setq mail-sources
      '((pop :server "127.0.0.1" :port 1234
             :user "michael.albinus@gmx.de"
             :password "secret"
             :prescript "nohup ssh -f -L 1234:pop.server:110 remote.host sleep 3600 &"))

The idea was to establish a tunnel on local port 1234 active for an
hour, and to use it for connecting to the pop server.

There were some small problems (sometimes, I had to retrieve new messages
twice), but it did work somehow. I don't need it any longer, but it
might be a starter.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Best way to tunnel pop mail through ssh?
@ 2012-02-07 20:34     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-02-07 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Damon Haley, ding

> A while ago, I have done something like this:
>
> (setq mail-sources
>       '((pop :server "127.0.0.1" :port 1234
>              :user "michael.albinus@gmx.de"
>              :password "secret"
>              :prescript "nohup ssh -f -L 1234:pop.server:110 remote.host sleep 3600 &"))

Great; I'll add this example to the manual.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome