* where is the gnus-sync documentation?
@ 2011-11-06 21:22 Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-11-06 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I want to understand what this module is for and how to use it.

Thanks,

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: where is the gnus-sync documentation?
@ 2011-11-06 22:07 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-11-06 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I want to understand what this module is for

Personally, I use gnus-sync v1 to sync nntp tick marks between three
different gnus installations (home desktop, home netbook, and work).

But the new version of gnus-sync is capable of more.

> and how to use it.

Ah... that bit is still in the process of being nailed out, I think...?

* Re: where is the gnus-sync documentation?
@ 2011-11-08 20:54   ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-11-08 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Sun Nov 06 2011, Steinar Bang <sb-AT-dod.no> wrote:

>> I want to understand what this module is for
>
> Personally, I use gnus-sync v1 to sync nntp tick marks between three
> different gnus installations (home desktop, home netbook, and work).

That's what I figured, roughly.

> But the new version of gnus-sync is capable of more.

what, specifically?

>> and how to use it.
>
> Ah... that bit is still in the process of being nailed out, I think...?

Even some very rough tutorial/getting started guide would be lovely.

--

@ 2011-11-08 21:53     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2011-11-08 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> I want to understand what this module is for

>> Personally, I use gnus-sync v1 to sync nntp tick marks between three
>> different gnus installations (home desktop, home netbook, and work).

> That's what I figured, roughly.

>> But the new version of gnus-sync is capable of more.

> what, specifically?

I'm not quite sure yet.  Topics for one thing.  Ted would know.

>>> and how to use it.

>> Ah... that bit is still in the process of being nailed out, I think...?

> Even some very rough tutorial/getting started guide would be lovely.

Ok, from gnus-sync.el:

 1. install CouchDB, set up a real server admin user, and create a
 database, e.g. "tzz" and save the URL,
 e.g. http://lesync.info:5984/tzz

 2. run `M-: (gnus-sync-lesync-setup "http://lesync.info:5984/tzz" "tzzadmin" "mypassword" "mysalt" t t)'

    (If you run it more than once, you have to remove the entry from
    _users yourself.  This is intentional.  This sets up a database
    admin for the "tzz" database, distinct from the server admin
    user in (1) above.)

Then add the following to your .gnus.el (adjust the URL as appropriate):
 (setq gnus-sync-backend '(lesync "http://lesync.info:5984/tzz")
       gnus-sync-newsrc-groups '("nntp" "nnrss"))

Then start using the sync database:

Initially save the current read state to the database:
    `C-u M-x gnus-sync-save RET'
(the prefix makes it save the current state of all groups)

On later sessions do `M-x gnus-sync-read RET' after starting gnus, and then
a `g' to fix the read count.

After reading some nntp stuff, you can do `M-x gnus-sync-save RET' at
any point in time (it takes hardly any time at all).

* Re: where is the gnus-sync documentation?
@ 2011-11-09  0:44     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-11-09  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 15:54:32 -0500 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

>>> I want to understand what this module is for
>>
>> Personally, I use gnus-sync v1 to sync nntp tick marks between three
>> different gnus installations (home desktop, home netbook, and work).

DA> That's what I figured, roughly.

>> But the new version of gnus-sync is capable of more.

DA> what, specifically?

Currently gnus-sync has two modes:

1) file sync: can save arbitrary variables (e.g. the topology), write
everything out every time, very risky

2) LeSync: to CouchDB server, saves in a neutral format, will (I hope)
be supported by other newsreaders as well some day.  DB rows are per
group and contain all the marks, the topic, the offset within the topic
(so topics are recreated with all their contents), and the machines
where those groups have been saved.  Only the modified groups are saved,
it's very fast and compact JSON.

>>> and how to use it.
>>
>> Ah... that bit is still in the process of being nailed out, I think...?

DA> Even some very rough tutorial/getting started guide would be lovely.

Agreed.  I'm not able to produce it now.  If you or Steinar could take
what he wrote and the above and put it in a .texi file, it would help.
Or wait for me to get to it--this year, I hope.

Ted