* gnus-summary-line-format: what if an article is both answered and saved?
@ 2011-03-18  4:31 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-03-18  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

gnus-summary-line-format shows an A for answered, and an S for saved,
but if a message is both answered and saved... well then it's still just
an A. "Tough".

Adding insult to injury, the docstring,
  %R "A" if this article has been replied to, " " otherwise (character)
doesn't mention S at all.

* Re: gnus-summary-line-format: what if an article is both answered and saved?
@ 2011-03-18 11:13 ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2011-03-18 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: ding

On Fri, Mar 18 2011, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

> gnus-summary-line-format shows an A for answered, and an S for saved,
> but if a message is both answered and saved... well then it's still just
> an A. "Tough".
>
> Adding insult to injury, the docstring,
>   %R "A" if this article has been replied to, " " otherwise (character)
> doesn't mention S at all.

IMHO this is a more general problem. With IMAP you can have tons of flag
(the default ones like \Seen, \Draft, but also custom ones like `work'),
and Gnus has no way to represent them correctly. :(

--
Julien Danjou
❱ http://julien.danjou.info

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: gnus-summary-line-format: what if an article is both answered and saved?
@ 2011-03-18 14:34   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-18 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 12:13:12 +0100 Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> wrote:

JD> On Fri, Mar 18 2011, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
>> gnus-summary-line-format shows an A for answered, and an S for saved,
>> but if a message is both answered and saved... well then it's still just
>> an A. "Tough".
>>
>> Adding insult to injury, the docstring,
>> %R "A" if this article has been replied to, " " otherwise (character)
>> doesn't mention S at all.

JD> IMHO this is a more general problem. With IMAP you can have tons of flag
JD> (the default ones like \Seen, \Draft, but also custom ones like `work'),
JD> and Gnus has no way to represent them correctly. :(

A custom function could use SVG or ImageMagick to render several letters
in a small space.  It doesn't look terrible with SVG (I don't know the
ImageMagick stuff).

Ted

* Re: gnus-summary-line-format: what if an article is both answered and saved?
@ 2011-03-18 14:43     ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2011-03-18 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

On Fri, Mar 18 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> JD> IMHO this is a more general problem. With IMAP you can have tons of flag
> JD> (the default ones like \Seen, \Draft, but also custom ones like `work'),
> JD> and Gnus has no way to represent them correctly. :(
>
> A custom function could use SVG or ImageMagick to render several letters
> in a small space.  It doesn't look terrible with SVG (I don't know the
> ImageMagick stuff).

My concern was mainly that it's not that trivial to fix and require some
deep thinking of what's this flags are really nowadays considering
different backends like IMAP. :)

--

@ 2011-03-18 14:55       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-18 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 15:43:24 +0100 Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> wrote:

JD> On Fri, Mar 18 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
JD> IMHO this is a more general problem. With IMAP you can have tons of flag
JD> (the default ones like \Seen, \Draft, but also custom ones like `work'),
JD> and Gnus has no way to represent them correctly. :(
>>
>> A custom function could use SVG or ImageMagick to render several letters
>> in a small space.  It doesn't look terrible with SVG (I don't know the
>> ImageMagick stuff).

JD> My concern was mainly that it's not that trivial to fix and require some
JD> deep thinking of what's this flags are really nowadays considering
JD> different backends like IMAP. :)

Right, I was just giving a possible solution to the original problem.
Dan, can you write what I described or do you need an example?

Ted

* Re: gnus-summary-line-format: what if an article is both answered and saved?
@ 2011-03-20  3:15         ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2011-03-20  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tzz; +Cc: ding

Rather than resorting to images, or "Æ" U+00C6 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER AE
etc. Why not just let the letters agglutinate, so one can see both:
"AS"... and use the %widths if one want to make a fixed width for it.
Anyway I'd rather have my columns knocked around rather than end up not
being sure I saved something.

* Re: gnus-summary-line-format: what if an article is both answered and saved?
@ 2011-03-20  8:03   ` Erik Colson
From: Erik Colson @ 2011-03-20  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: ding

Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info> writes:

> IMHO this is a more general problem. With IMAP you can have tons of flag
> (the default ones like \Seen, \Draft, but also custom ones like `work'),
> and Gnus has no way to represent them correctly. :(

You're probably right... but what other email client does ?

--
erik colson
ecocode.net

* Re: gnus-summary-line-format: what if an article is both answered and saved?
@ 2011-03-20 12:00           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-20 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 11:15:25 +0800 jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

j> Rather than resorting to images, or "Æ" U+00C6 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER AE
j> etc. Why not just let the letters agglutinate, so one can see both:
j> "AS"... and use the %widths if one want to make a fixed width for it.

You can do that using user functions.  That's how
`gnus-registry-user-format-function-M' shows all the registry marks.

Ted

* Re: gnus-summary-line-format: what if an article is both answered and saved?
@ 2011-03-21 10:54     ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2011-03-21 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Colson; +Cc: jidanni, ding

On Sun, Mar 20 2011, Erik Colson wrote:

>> IMHO this is a more general problem. With IMAP you can have tons of flag
>> (the default ones like \Seen, \Draft, but also custom ones like `work'),
>> and Gnus has no way to represent them correctly. :(
>
> You're probably right... but what other email client does ?

AFAIK, none do better.

But that's not an excuse to keep doing the same. :)

--

@ 2011-03-21 11:11       ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-03-21 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Colson; +Cc: jidanni, ding

Julien Danjou writes:
> On Sun, Mar 20 2011, Erik Colson wrote:
>
>>> IMHO this is a more general problem. With IMAP you can have tons of flag
>>> (the default ones like \Seen, \Draft, but also custom ones like `work'),
>>> and Gnus has no way to represent them correctly. :(
>>
>> You're probably right... but what other email client does ?
>
> AFAIK, none do better.

There are clients out there which support custom flags through IMAP
keywords; newer Thunderbirds can do this, for instance (I think they do
it automatically if the server supports it, otherwise they're stored in
the local database).

-David

* Re: gnus-summary-line-format: what if an article is both answered and saved?
@ 2011-03-21 11:33         ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2011-03-21 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Colson; +Cc: jidanni, ding

On Mon, Mar 21 2011, David Engster wrote:

> There are clients out there which support custom flags through IMAP
> keywords; newer Thunderbirds can do this, for instance (I think they do
> it automatically if the server supports it, otherwise they're stored in
> the local database).

Correct, but last time I saw that it was just something like 5
predefined flags with a color code without any name customization
possibility.

Did it improve?

--

@ 2011-03-21 12:51           ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2011-03-21 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Julien Danjou writes:
> On Mon, Mar 21 2011, David Engster wrote:
>
>> There are clients out there which support custom flags through IMAP
>> keywords; newer Thunderbirds can do this, for instance (I think they do
>> it automatically if the server supports it, otherwise they're stored in
>> the local database).
>
> Correct, but last time I saw that it was just something like 5
> predefined flags with a color code without any name customization
> possibility.

> Did it improve?

Yes. See

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Tags#Labels_versus_Tags