From: Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: No Gnus v0.13 is released
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 11:09:46 -0600	[thread overview]

I haven't been following the (bleeding?) edge, so this is a big jump for
me.  I apologize if I haven't rtfm'd adequately, but after the switch
the message read status seems to be stored locally rather than on the
IMAP server, or something.  I've got multiple machines running gnus
which all connect to the same IMAP server, but they're all suddenly
showing tons of unread messages, which I have read.  My other imap
client (an iphone) continues to show those messages as read.  I'll look
into this some more when I get a chance, but in case someone goes "Aha!"
I thought I'd mention it here.

Other (minor) issues I've run into during the switch:

 - I had to replace gnus-user-date-format-alist with
   gnus-summary-user-date-format-alist
 - the %U format in gnus-group-line-format doesn't seem to be working --
   I haven't done a lot of troubleshooting but it looks like it's
   returning a number instead of a string.  For now I've done the
   quick-and-dirty thing of using a user-format-function.
 - Gnus failed to start for me until I disabled diminish for
   gnus-agent-mode.  Not a gnus problem, obviously, but it took me a
   while to realize what was going on.

On the plus side: Wow, blazing fast updates!  With multiple imap sources
and nntp I suspect that the asynchronous connection helps a lot, but the
improvement is dramatic whatever the source.  And the improved auth
(storing auth info encrypted) is nice as well.  Thanks!

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>