* extra server for nnmairix?
@ 2010-10-31  8:08 Eric Abrahamsen
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-10-31  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Here's something I've never understood.

I use nnmairix, happily. In the manual it says that you can choose to
create a new backend server, or you can use an existing one. I think I'm
doing something wrong, because it behaves weirdly no matter which option
I choose.

If I use an existing server, the search group doesn't survive the next
gnus restart, and I have to do nnmairix-create-server-and-default-group
all over again each time. I've figured out how to change the
subscription level so it doesn't check my mail every time I
search—that's nice at any rate.

If I create an additional server (with a (nnml "mairix"
(nnml-get-new-mail nil)) entry in gnus-secondary-select-methods), I
actually see two new servers in my server list:

{nnmairix:search}
{nnml:mairix}

The first is empty, the second contains killed versions of all the
groups under my regular nnml server, plus the unkilled search group. Why
are all those killed groups there? Why does gnus-group-jump-to-group
show those killed groups? (I'm using the ido-completing-read interface,
which is otherwise brilliant, but makes this "duplication" of group
names particularly evident and annoying.)

I don't care which of the two methods I use, but I'd like either one
problem or the other to be solved. I suspect there's something wrong
with how I'm creating the server, but I just don't know what…

Thanks!

Eric

* Re: extra server for nnmairix?
@ 2010-10-31  9:30 ` Eric Abrahamsen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-10-31  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, Oct 31 2010, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> Here's something I've never understood.
>
> I use nnmairix, happily. In the manual it says that you can choose to
> create a new backend server, or you can use an existing one. I think I'm
> doing something wrong, because it behaves weirdly no matter which option
> I choose.
>
> If I use an existing server, the search group doesn't survive the next
> gnus restart, and I have to do nnmairix-create-server-and-default-group
> all over again each time. I've figured out how to change the
> subscription level so it doesn't check my mail every time I
> search—that's nice at any rate.
>
> If I create an additional server (with a (nnml "mairix"
> (nnml-get-new-mail nil)) entry in gnus-secondary-select-methods), I
> actually see two new servers in my server list:
>
> {nnmairix:search}
> {nnml:mairix}
>
> The first is empty, the second contains killed versions of all the
> groups under my regular nnml server, plus the unkilled search group. Why
> are all those killed groups there? Why does gnus-group-jump-to-group
> show those killed groups? (I'm using the ido-completing-read interface,
> which is otherwise brilliant, but makes this "duplication" of group
> names particularly evident and annoying.)
>
> I don't care which of the two methods I use, but I'd like either one
> problem or the other to be solved. I suspect there's something wrong
> with how I'm creating the server, but I just don't know what…
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric

Maybe I should mention that the actual group where search results are
gathered is called nnmairix+search. Maybe all of this is perfectly
normal, but I'm really confused about the relationship between servers
and groups.

* Re: extra server for nnmairix?
@ 2010-10-31  9:35 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2010-10-31  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen writes:
> If I use an existing server, the search group doesn't survive the next
> gnus restart, and I have to do nnmairix-create-server-and-default-group
> all over again each time.

I'm afraid I cannot reproduce this.

However, I just saw that there was a problem due to changes in
gnus-completing-read in Gnus-git, which broke the selection of the back
end server. This is now fixed.

> If I create an additional server (with a (nnml "mairix"
> (nnml-get-new-mail nil)) entry in gnus-secondary-select-methods), I
> actually see two new servers in my server list:
>
> {nnmairix:search}
> {nnml:mairix}

Yes. The nnmairix server itself doesn't store searches; the nnml:mairix
back end does that.

> The first is empty, the second contains killed versions of all the
> groups under my regular nnml server, plus the unkilled search group. Why
> are all those killed groups there?

You can delete those old groups with M-x nnmairix-purge-old-groups.

> Why does gnus-group-jump-to-group show those killed groups? (I'm using
> the ido-completing-read interface, which is otherwise brilliant, but
> makes this "duplication" of group names particularly evident and
> annoying.)

I don't use the ido-interface, so I didn't realize that. I'll try to fix
this.

-David

* Re: extra server for nnmairix?
@ 2010-10-31 11:09 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2010-10-31 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen writes:
> The first is empty, the second contains killed versions of all the
> groups under my regular nnml server, plus the unkilled search group. Why
> are all those killed groups there? Why does gnus-group-jump-to-group
> show those killed groups? (I'm using the ido-completing-read interface,
> which is otherwise brilliant, but makes this "duplication" of group
> names particularly evident and annoying.)

Hmm. I'm not sure how to fix this, so I'm asking for opinions: How can I
best filter some groups in jump-to-group, based on a regexp (in this
case `nnmairix-group-regexp'). Can I somehow avoid that those groups
turn up in the gnus-active-hashtb? Should this be done in jump-to-group
(by providing a COLLECTION), or maybe in gnus-completing-read?

-David

* Re: extra server for nnmairix?
@ 2010-10-31 11:12   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2010-10-31 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, Oct 31 2010, David Engster wrote:

> Eric Abrahamsen writes:
>> If I use an existing server, the search group doesn't survive the next
>> gnus restart, and I have to do nnmairix-create-server-and-default-group
>> all over again each time.
>
> I'm afraid I cannot reproduce this.

Hmm, I guess I can't either, anymore. On the other hand, I'm also now
not able to find a subscription level that both leaves the group
visible and doesn't retrieve mail on my regular nnml server.

I just updated gnus from git, btw.

> Yes. The nnmairix server itself doesn't store searches; the nnml:mairix
> back end does that.
>
>> The first is empty, the second contains killed versions of all the
>> groups under my regular nnml server, plus the unkilled search group. Why
>> are all those killed groups there?
>
> You can delete those old groups with M-x nnmairix-purge-old-groups.

Good to know that's what it is meant to look like! I ran
nnamirix-purge-old-groups and it deleted old search groups, but none of
the mirrored groups from my regular nnml server. Those are still there
(and still showing up in gnus-group-jump-to-group).

>> Why does gnus-group-jump-to-group show those killed groups? (I'm using
>> the ido-completing-read interface, which is otherwise brilliant, but
>> makes this "duplication" of group names particularly evident and
>> annoying.)
>
> I don't use the ido-interface, so I didn't realize that. I'll try to fix
> this.

Thanks very much!

* Re: extra server for nnmairix?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-10-31 11:16 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2010-10-31 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric Abrahamsen writes:
> I don't care which of the two methods I use, but I'd like either one
> problem or the other to be solved. I suspect there's something wrong
> with how I'm creating the server, but I just don't know what…

BTW, if you don't need nnimap support, and are not interested in
permanent mairix 'smart' search groups, you might be happier with the
generic interface from mairix.el. See

(info "mairix-el")

-David