* (gnus-group-list-all-matching) bug?
@ 2008-01-05 16:22 reader
From: reader @ 2008-01-05 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've been using topic mode in gnus for a few mnths, after yrs of using
gnus in the normal or near default display mode.

One item that really works badly in topic mode is:
  (gnus-group-list-all-matching) `A M'

When I run that command trying to discover some forgotten group I
suddenly want to look at, what happens in completely the opposite of
what you expect.

That is, not a single group is displayed.. instead the topics all
close up and all I see is a neat assembly of the topics.

My current search was:
 (gnus-group-list-all-matching nil "web")

I know I have at least one group answering that description and I
thought maybe one or two more.  But instead I get the behaviour
described above.

More crazy stuff happens too.  When I start opening the topics I find
all kinds of long ago killed,  zombieized[?sp], or unsubscribed
groups.  All the flotsom that isn't supposed to be displayed and NONE of
it matches `web'.

Can that be due to local settings or does it constitute a genuine bug?

It might take a little doing to repeat the problem.  You'd have to
setup topics and all unless some of you using `topics' can verify
this behavior.

All I have to do to see it is run the `A M' command from group buffer.

* Re: (gnus-group-list-all-matching) bug?
@ 2008-01-05 22:11 ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2008-01-05 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I've been using topic mode in gnus for a few mnths, after yrs of using
> gnus in the normal or near default display mode.

> One item that really works badly in topic mode is:
>   (gnus-group-list-all-matching) `A M'

> When I run that command trying to discover some forgotten group I
> suddenly want to look at, what happens in completely the opposite of
> what you expect.

> That is, not a single group is displayed.. instead the topics all
> close up and all I see is a neat assembly of the topics.

I am unable to repeat this.  When I enter a search to A M, I get any matching groups and their topics.  All other topics are hidden, but that may be the result of my hiding empty topics as a preference.

> More crazy stuff happens too.  When I start opening the topics I find
> all kinds of long ago killed,  zombieized[?sp], or unsubscribed
> groups.  All the flotsom that isn't supposed to be displayed and NONE of
> it matches `web'.

I'm not sure what to say about this, but I suspect that if you figure out the primary issue, this will either go away with it, or, as I suspect, will clarify itself to expected behavior.  For example if I do A M and open one of the resulting displayed topics (which already shows matching groups), I get the rest of the groups.  And that's what I would expect.

> Can that be due to local settings or does it constitute a genuine bug?

My guess is some oddball setting, but I can't imagine that a setting would break the search so you may be triggering a real bug with some setting that I don't have.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: (gnus-group-list-all-matching) bug?
@ 2008-01-05 22:47   ` reader
From: reader @ 2008-01-05 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dave Goldberg <david.goldberg6@verizon.net> writes:

[...]

>> That is, not a single group is displayed.. instead the topics all
>> close up and all I see is a neat assembly of the topics.
>
> I am unable to repeat this.  When I enter a search to A M, I get any
> matching groups and their topics.  All other topics are hidden, but
> that may be the result of my hiding empty topics as a preference.

Well thats good news I guess.

Gack.. it just so happens that the first 3 groups I thought of that
weren't visible had actually been killed.  Maybe quite some time
ago... maybe even on a different machine.

I should have tried a few that were actually visible already to make
sure.

I tried `web'  (I once had 2 of those)
I tried `ford' (I had two ford truck groups once upon a time)
I tried `kde'  (Had 3 of those...)

I just knew I still had some of those.

When I saw your post, tried the obvious thing (groups I could see) and
it worked just like it should.

I'm not sure what brought up all the goofy stuff.  I don't see it now
but then I went through it when it came up and killed it all off.

There is one thing there I notice and I guess you say its probably
normal.

After running `A M' if you open a topic with no hits displayed it
rolls out all the groups under there.  In my case I hit the nnml topic
and rolled out literally 150+ groups.  Many have not seen the light of
day for years. (but none were killed or zombied at least)