* mbox->nnml: mark E became just O
@ 2007-12-15 19:58 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-12-15 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I recently used one of the common methods mentioned for converting a
big mbox file into lots of individual nnml files.

I forgot what method that was (hitting some capital letters I recall,
not usually a happy memory), but I notice the mark "E", meaning expire
in one week, had now become just "O" in the new files.

So if that mark was being tracked in .newsrc.eld, then whatever did
the conversion didn't pay good attention to it.

(I even recall I wanted to turn the mbox into a Maildir, but was
thwarted, so picked nnml instead.)

My dot files are in http://jidanni.org/comp/ if you need to see them.
"Gnus v5.11".

* Re: mbox->nnml: mark E became just O
@ 2007-12-17  2:15 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2007-12-17  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I recently used one of the common methods mentioned for converting a
> big mbox file into lots of individual nnml files.

> I forgot what method that was (hitting some capital letters I recall,
> not usually a happy memory), but I notice the mark "E", meaning expire
> in one week, had now become just "O" in the new files.

Gnus deletes the expirable marks from articles when copying or
moving them to another group that is not configured as expirable.
That ``a group is configured as expirable'' means that the
`auto-expire' group parameter is set for the group or the group
name matches the value of `gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups'.

* Re: mbox->nnml: mark E became just O
@ 2007-12-19 20:35   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-12-19 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> I recently used one of the common methods mentioned for converting a
>> big mbox file into lots of individual nnml files.

>> I forgot what method that was (hitting some capital letters I recall,
>> not usually a happy memory), but I notice the mark "E", meaning expire
>> in one week, had now become just "O" in the new files.

KY> Gnus deletes the expirable marks from articles when copying or
KY> moving them to another group that is not configured as expirable.
KY> That ``a group is configured as expirable'' means that the
KY> `auto-expire' group parameter is set for the group or the group
KY> name matches the value of `gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups'.

Well all I know is that in the new group articles marked as E also go
away in a week, just like the old group I moved them from.

The net result of this bug is spam less than a week old from the old
group is has to be marked again as E by hand in the new group, or else
it won't go away like it would have in the old group.

So the "auto"expire assumption is wrong.