From: Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Running "The Same" GNUS from multiple machines.
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 15:51:16 +0100	[thread overview]

"Allen S. Rout" <asr@ufl.edu> writes:

>>> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 09:54:09 +0100, Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> said:
>
>> Depends on which gnus state:s you refer to.  IMAP keeps most states
>> on the messages on the server for you.  You may want to synchronize
>> ~/.emacs or ~/.gnus to have the same settings on the two machines.
>> Syncing other states (~/.newsrc.eld, say group parameters or topic
>> structure) may be more tricky, but it isn't clear to me that you
>> need that...
>

> I was presuming I'd need all of it: Why wouldn't I need the .eld?

The IMAP server stores the message flags (read, ticked, etc), so
syncing the .eld isn't strictly necessary.  It works fine to have two
independent Gnus installations access the same IMAP server.

However, if you want to sync the Gnus group topic structure, the group
parameters, and certain other information, you will need the .eld.
But maybe it is not worth the hassle, remembering to synchronize that
file every time you switch machines is pretty boring, at least that
was my experience.

/Simon