* Wrong article count on news.sunsite.dk
@ 2005-05-27  7:42 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2005-05-27  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Platform: dell D600, Intel Pentium M, debian sarge (testing/unstable),
	  emacs21 21.4a-1,
	  No Gnus v0.4 (cvs checkout from May 21 2005)

I've started using news.sunsite.dk (see http://news.sunsite.dk) as my
primary news server.

The problem is that in one of the groups there (maybe all, but it's
the only one I follow with any regularity) the new article count is
wrong.

This is not unusual in the sense that the article count shows more
articles than can be found when you enter the group.

But in this case, it's the other way around.  Articles that have
arrived in the group don't up the new article count, but when I do
eg. `C-u 50 RET' to enter the group and display the 50 most recent
articles, I find that the articles are there, and marked as read.

Entering the grup with a prefix and figuring what articles I haven't
read, and removing the tickmarks on them, is a very inconvenient way
to read news, so I wondered if anyone have any idea what might cause
this.

The server is agentized, and this gnus installation is on a laptop.
So I access the server both from work and home, and sometimes while on
the road.

Thanx!

- Steinar

* Re: Wrong article count on news.sunsite.dk
@ 2005-07-22 14:24 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2005-07-22 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> I've started using news.sunsite.dk (see http://news.sunsite.dk) as my
> primary news server.

Have you read that same group from another primary news server before?
If so, it might help to say M-x gnus-group-clear-data RET on that
group.  Then all articles will be unread, but you can use catchup.

I suspect that the article ranges of the old server and the new server
are overlapping, and that you have read article 4711 on the old
server, whereas it is a completely different article on the new
server.  But Gnus marks it as read anyway.

Kai

* Re: Wrong article count on news.sunsite.dk
@ 2005-08-28 17:24   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2005-08-28 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:
>> I've started using news.sunsite.dk (see http://news.sunsite.dk) as my
>> primary news server.

> Have you read that same group from another primary news server before?

Yes, but I killed this group, saved .newsrc.eld, stopped gnus, and
started a fresh emacs with a fresh gnus, before subscribing to the new
server, and start subscribing groups on that server.

> If so, it might help to say M-x gnus-group-clear-data RET on that
> group.  Then all articles will be unread, but you can use catchup.

> I suspect that the article ranges of the old server and the new server
> are overlapping, and that you have read article 4711 on the old
> server, whereas it is a completely different article on the new
> server.  But Gnus marks it as read anyway.

Maybe... but it's about half a year since I switched servers, and
everything's OK as long as gnus is online in one location, it's only
when I reboot in a different location that things are messed up (it
may be that they would be messed up if I reboot in the same location,
but I've never gotten 'round to trying that).

It's a recreation group so it isn't really essential.  I just thought
this behaviour was strange.

* Re: Wrong article count on news.sunsite.dk
@ 2005-08-30  5:13     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2005-08-30  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:
>>> I've started using news.sunsite.dk (see http://news.sunsite.dk) as my
>>> primary news server.

>> Have you read that same group from another primary news server before?

> Yes, but I killed this group, saved .newsrc.eld, stopped gnus, and
> started a fresh emacs with a fresh gnus, before subscribing to the new
> server, and start subscribing groups on that server.

One thing I did before I did that, however, was to try to move the
tickmarks with gnus-change-server.  But after that had run for an
entire weekend, I just gave up and terminated it.

Perhaps that messed something up for me?  Left something in place that
killing the group didn't fix?