From: fabien@tzone.org (Fabien Niñoles)
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: locale ISO-8859-15, UTF-8 and mail...
Date: 18 Jul 2002 16:44:11 -0400	[thread overview]

    Kai> fabien@tzone.org (Fabien Niñoles) writes:
    >> Done, I send the file to Dave Love (the original maintainer of
    >> latin-1) but, if it works for mostly anything (like this email:
    >> ¾), it doesn't work when I visiting Latin-1 encoded email; or
    >> even in mail-headers.
    >>
    >> Something like "élève" will go out has "?l?ve", and, if I "C-u
    >> W M c latin-9", it will be "\201él\201ève".  Just watching it
    >> with "W M c", only add \201 before all `?'.  I'm looking for
    >> adding a command that simple (gnus-article-decode-charset nil
    >> 'latin-9) and remove all \201, but I will frankly prefer to
    >> make it works correctly.

    Kai> I don't understand.  What does `W M c' have to do with
    Kai> latinX-disp.el?

Nothing.  There seems to have two "bugs" here:

1- Gnus seems to defined it's own buffer-display-table instead of
using the standard-display-table.  Since latinX-disp.el simply modify
the standard-display-table to be effective, it doesn't seems to work in gnus
(at least v5.9.0 that I used here).

2- I isolate the other bug (the \201 or \216 character add before every high-bit set
character in multibyte environment) to a bug in the coding-system.  To test
it just evaluate this:

(decode-coding-string "élève" 'iso-8859-1) => "\216él\216ève" in latin-1 environment.

You can replace the coding system for anything, even no-conversion or
raw-text, it will always add the extra character, whatever your
environment.

Since decode-coding-string are a built-in function, I'm currently rebuilding
emacs to debug this a little more.

    Kai> IMHO, it would be better to enable Emacs to just display many
    Kai> characters, rather than making changes in Gnus only.

The problem 1) is in Gnus and I don't know if it exists in the CVS.  It will
certainly not be easy to fixed since it should appears in the encoding system
of gnus.  Maybe someone can help me about this one.

For the other one, it's a problem in my emacs version... I continue to
investigate.

Ciao!
Fabien
- --
Fabien Niñoles                              Debian Maintainer
fabien@debian.org                       http://www.debian.org
GPG KeyID: C15D FE9E BB35 F596 127F  BF7D 8F1F DFC9 BCE0 9436