From: Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca>
Subject: Re: Losing `expirable' marks in nnimap groups
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 13:07:32 -0400	[thread overview]

> Dan Christensen <jdc+news@uwo.ca> writes:
>
>> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>>
>>> I enter a group, mark the last couple of messages as expirable, hit
>>> M-g.  The messages are back, not marked as expirable anymore.  (They
>>> are not marked as read, either.)
>>>
>>> Is anyone seeing this?
>>
>> Yes, I see it too, with:
>
> What's the *imap-log* output when this happen?

Hmm, I can't reproduce this anymore.  I may have been remembering
wrong.  Instead, let me mention some other things.

1) If I send one mail message to my imap account, Gnus will think
   there are three unread messages in my INBOX.  In general, Gnus is
   off by a factor of three.  A copy of the *imap-log* buffer is
   below.  I wouldn't be surprised if this is something weird about
   the server I'm accessing.

2) I have two machines each running Gnus, and both access the imap
   server.  If I delete articles in one copy of Gnus, then start the
   other copy, it thinks there are more unread articles than there
   really are.

3) Similar, if I mark articles as expirable on one machine, and then
   start Gnus on the other, it thinks the articles are just marked
   as read, not expired.  Maybe this is just how nnimap works, but
   a quick glance through the documentation didn't find this.

4) The nnimap docs say:

`nnimap-expunge-on-close'
     ... when you delete a article in Gnus (with `G DEL' or
     similar).

   Should that be `B DEL'?

5) The nnimap docs say:

`nnimap-importantize-dormant'
     If non-nil, marks dormant articles as ticked (as well), for other
     IMAP clients. Within Gnus, dormant articles will naturally still
     (only) be marked as ticked.
                         ^^^^^^

    ticked or dormant?

    Also, the docs should say what the default is.

Dan