* gmail+SMTP (oauth2)
@ 2022-05-17 16:33 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-05-17 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

Today I got the unofficial approval to forward my email to an account of
my choice, if I can't access my mail with TLS (SSL or the gmail app
password anymore)

However I have been warned that the message should have a from field
with a domain of my university. (@mat.ucm.es for example).

Now I could either use

    1. The smtpmail (or sendmail) program of my linux machine (not sure
       about MacOS

    2. Or use a SMTP service that allows me to use a different form
       field, once the address has been verified. Gmail did this in the
       past (and maybe still does it).

In any case I have been warned that my mails could be blacklisted.

Anybody has experience with such a service/setting?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.

* Re: gmail+SMTP (oauth2)
@ 2022-05-18 19:59 ` Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2022-05-18 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> Today I got the unofficial approval to forward my email to an account of
> my choice, if I can't access my mail with TLS (SSL or the gmail app
> password anymore)

> However I have been warned that the message should have a from field
> with a domain of my university. (@mat.ucm.es for example).

> Now I could either use

>     1. The smtpmail (or sendmail) program of my linux machine (not sure
>        about MacOS

>     2. Or use a SMTP service that allows me to use a different form
>        field, once the address has been verified. Gmail did this in the
>        past (and maybe still does it).

> In any case I have been warned that my mails could be blacklisted.

> Anybody has experience with such a service/setting?

mat.ucm.es's SPF record (cf. for example
https://www.spf-record.de/spf-lookup/mat.ucm.es) recommends
that mails from servers not listed explicitly there should
"soft-fail", i. e. be accepted, but marked as, eh, "suspi-
cious".  So sending mails with that address from other ser-
vers will probably cause them to end up in some spam folder
or being discarded, with the recipients probably having very
little to no chance in hell to persuade their administrators
to accept your mails.

So, personally, I wouldn't invest any energy in that direc-
tion because that is a battle that you cannot win and if you
use that mail address for work, i. e. those mails are impor-
tant, you need a (reasonably) reliable solution.

Tim