Uwe Brauer writes: >> I think, thus should be > >> (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions '(gnus-thread-sort-by-number) >> gnus-article-sort-functions '(gnus-article-sort-by-number)) > > This was my first setting. > > My point being, that gnus does not sort it according to its own numbering. I think now understand the misunderstanding. gnus-article-sort-functions is only used when threading is off, whereas gnus-thread-sort-functions is only used if threading is on. Hence, the problem must be in the latter. Now when you use threading and have gnus-thread-sort-functions set to gnus-thread-sort-by-number, it'll sort by the number of the article that started the thread, and that article might even not be visible. Is it possible that this causes the confusion? You could find out by checking if at least the complete threads are sorted correctly. At threads which seem to appear at the wrong position, hit ^ repeatedly until the root article is visible. Are they sorted according to number then? Anyway, you might want to try setting both gnus-thread-sort-functions to '(gnus-article-sort-by-number), too. That would sort according to the current article's number, not the root article's number. Bye, Tassilo