* with local imap: sent mail (Gcc) sometimes not saved
@ 2014-11-27 23:41 Christoph Groth
From: Christoph Groth @ 2014-11-27 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,  I’m using Gnus (from Emacs 24.4.1) with a local dovecot and
mbsync for synchronizing to remote IMAP servers [1].   This works
really rather well.  There is, however, one problem:  I set the
gcc-self Gnus parameter to save all outgoing mail.  Usually this
works flawlessly, but from time to time I cannot find some message
that I know that was sent out successfully (I can see it in my
msmtp log, and I also already got replies to such messages).  Do
you have any suggestions how to debug this?  I noticed that
dovecot, when used directly through the /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
executable, does not seem to log anything.  I tried to add the
command line parameter

 -o log_path=/home/myuser/.dovecot.log

but nothing gets logged there.

For now, I've added "2>>$HOME/.dovecot.err" to the end of
nnimap-shell-program.  Nothing has appeared there so far, so I'm not too
confident to be able to catch the problem in this way.  Also, I'm not
even sure whether it's a dovecot problem at all.  It could be also due
to Gnus itself.

It's disquieting to randomly and quietly loose mail.  I'd love to fix this.

Christoph

[1] http://roland.entierement.nu/blog/2010/09/08/gnus-dovecot-offlineimap-search-a-howto.html

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Couldn't store article in group
@ 2014-11-28 11:44 ` Christoph Groth
From: Christoph Groth @ 2014-11-28 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've been able to narrow down my problem quite a bit: Messages do
not get stored whenever the subject contains non-ASCII characters,
e.g. the UTF opening quote character (“) or accented characters.

In *Messages* the following line appears:
Couldn't store article in group nnimap+cwg:2014: ((BAD Error in IMAP command APPEND: Invalid arguments.))

The email, however, is sent correctly.  It’s only the storing that
fails.

Any ideas on how to debug this further?

Christoph

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Couldn't store article in group
@ 2015-01-26  4:07   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2015-01-26  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Groth; +Cc: ding

Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> writes:

> I've been able to narrow down my problem quite a bit: Messages do
> not get stored whenever the subject contains non-ASCII characters,
> e.g. the UTF opening quote character (“) or accented characters.
>
> In *Messages* the following line appears:
> Couldn't store article in group nnimap+cwg:2014: ((BAD Error in IMAP
> command APPEND: Invalid arguments.))
>
> The email, however, is sent correctly.  It’s only the storing that
> fails.
>
> Any ideas on how to debug this further?

Try setting `nnimap-record-commands' and look in the *imap log* buffer
after one of these errors.  That will tell us what commands nnimap is
sending to the server.

* Re: Couldn't store article in group
@ 2015-01-26 22:13     ` Christoph Groth
From: Christoph Groth @ 2015-01-26 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

Thank you, Lars, for your interest.  Now that I live in France
this particular issue can be quite annoying...

Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> writes:
>
>> I've been able to narrow down my problem quite a bit: Messages
>> do
>> not get stored whenever the subject contains non-ASCII
>> characters,
>> e.g. the UTF opening quote character (“) or accented
>> characters.
>>
>> In *Messages* the following line appears:
>> Couldn't store article in group nnimap+cwg:2014: ((BAD Error in
>> IMAP
>> command APPEND: Invalid arguments.))
>>
>> The email, however, is sent correctly.  It’s only the storing
>> that
>> fails.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to debug this further?
>
> Try setting `nnimap-record-commands' and look in the *imap log*
> buffer
> after one of these errors.  That will tell us what commands
> nnimap is
> sending to the server.

I tried, this is what gets added to *imap log* when a message
fails to be stored:

22:59:56 [cwg] 597 SELECT "2015"
22:59:57 [cwg] 598 APPEND "2015" {1372}

At the same time the following appears in *Messages*:

Couldn't store article in group nnimap+cwg:2015: ((BAD Error in
IMAP command APPEND: Invalid arguments.))

On the other hand, when a message is stored without problems, the
following
gets added to *imap log*:

22:56:14 [cwg] 496 SELECT "2015"
22:56:14 [cwg] 497 APPEND "2015" {1381}
22:56:14 [cwg] 498 SELECT "2015"
22:56:14 [cwg] 499 UID FETCH 1:* FLAGS
22:56:14 [cwg] 500 SELECT "2015"
22:56:14 [cwg] 501 UID STORE 177 +FLAGS.SILENT (\Seen)

Not sure whether this is of much help.  Please let me know if you
have
other ideas.

Another observation:
I noticed the problem only ever with subjects that contain
non-ASCII characters.
It can be reproduced with certain subjects (e.g. "C’est déjà
tard").  On the
other hand, some subjects (e.g. "déjà vu") do not seem to trigger
the error.

Christoph

* Re: Couldn't store article in group
@ 2015-01-27  0:50       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2015-01-27  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Groth; +Cc: ding

Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> writes:

> 22:59:56 [cwg] 597 SELECT "2015"
> 22:59:57 [cwg] 598 APPEND "2015" {1372}
>
> At the same time the following appears in *Messages*:
>
> Couldn't store article in group nnimap+cwg:2015: ((BAD Error in IMAP
> command APPEND: Invalid arguments.))

So it really is reacting to the contents of the message itself (which
follows the APPEND command, but isn't logged here).

> Another observation:
> I noticed the problem only ever with subjects that contain non-ASCII
> characters.
> It can be reproduced with certain subjects (e.g. "C’est déjà tard").
> On the
> other hand, some subjects (e.g. "déjà vu") do not seem to trigger the
> error.

That's even weirder.

Does this only happen with the Subject header?  What if the From header
or the body contains these characters?

* Re: Couldn't store article in group
@ 2015-01-28 12:56         ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2015-01-28 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2015-01-27 11:50, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:

>> Another observation:
>> I noticed the problem only ever with subjects that contain non-ASCII
>> characters.
>> It can be reproduced with certain subjects (e.g. "C’est déjà tard").
>> On the
>> other hand, some subjects (e.g. "déjà vu") do not seem to trigger the
>> error.
>
> That's even weirder.
>
> Does this only happen with the Subject header?  What if the From header
> or the body contains these characters?

The apostrophe ’ may not be latin1, whereas the other characters are.

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7

@ 2015-01-29  1:37           ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2015-01-29  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> The apostrophe ’ may not be latin1, whereas the other characters are.

Aha.  So the server is rejecting all non-latin1 characters?

Or perhaps nnimap is encoding stuff in a wonky way.  Could you use
wireshark or something to capture what's actually sent?