* how to reset gnus back to its defaults?
@ 2014-09-05 12:12 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-09-05 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Is it possible to reset all of gnus back to its default settings please?
If so, how?

I feel that everything has got mucked up over a period of time, and if I
could just restart from a blank page things might be easier.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.93.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: how to reset gnus back to its defaults?
@ 2014-09-07  6:05 ` Les Harris
From: Les Harris @ 2014-09-07  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Is it possible to reset all of gnus back to its default settings please?
> If so, how?

Luckily everything is just text configuration files.  I don't know what
your exact setup is but remove any configuration you have added in your
init files or emacs customization and you'll get the defaults.

Whenever you add configuration you are overriding default values.

--
Do they only stand
By ignorance, is that their happy state,

* Re: how to reset gnus back to its defaults?
@ 2014-09-09  7:02   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-09-09  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Les Harris; +Cc: ding, Sharon Kimble

Les Harris <lharris@gnome.org> writes:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> Is it possible to reset all of gnus back to its default settings please?
>> If so, how?
>
> Luckily everything is just text configuration files.  I don't know what
> your exact setup is but remove any configuration you have added in your
> init files or emacs customization and you'll get the defaults.

Mainly true - but you can also change settings from within gnus
(e.g. customize group) which are stored in your init.el (?) and I think
there are other files created by GNUS to store settings?

So removing your *manual* configurations you made in your e.g. gnus.el
is trivial and I can't help with the others because I avoid them
(because I don't know where they are stored).

Cheers,

Rainer

> Whenever you add configuration you are overriding default values.

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 494 bytes --]

* Re: how to reset gnus back to its defaults?
@ 2014-09-09  9:17     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-09-09  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding