* weird headers
@ 2014-08-31 17:44 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-08-31 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm having big problems in reading emails and news posts in gnus in that
everything is showing with *all* of their headings, like this one -

From: root@london (Cron Daemon)
To: boudiccas@localhost
Subject: Cron <root@london> /usr/bin/apt-get update
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 12:00:26 +0100

I've looked back through the archives from this year but can't find a
solution. So, how do I get it just to have normal, sensible headers like
"From, Subject, To, Date" please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.93.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: weird headers
@ 2014-09-05  1:57 ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2014-09-05  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I'm having big problems in reading emails and news posts in gnus in that
> everything is showing with *all* of their headings, like this one -

[...]

> I've looked back through the archives from this year but can't find a
> solution. So, how do I get it just to have normal, sensible headers like
> "From, Subject, To, Date" please?

Have you perhaps customized either of gnus-ignored-headers or gnus-show-all-headers away from their defaults?

When I've run into things like this I run emacs -q then open my .emacs and manually eval just enough to set up the basic gnus connectivity (servers and not much else) and see if it works the way I expect with default settings.  Then it's a matter of eval'ing my customizations until I find the one I've messed up.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: weird headers
@ 2014-09-05 12:05   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-09-05 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Goldberg; +Cc: ding

Thanks for this Dave, I've ended up building a new '.gnus.el' which more
or less works. It has this line in it -
╭────
│(setq gnus-visible-headers "^From:\\|^Subject:\\|^Date:\\|^Reply-to:\\|^To:")
╰────

which only works if I toggle it with "t" whilst somewhere in the header
or summary pane. But how do I make it appear "true" for each and every
email, rss post and newsgroup post please? I copied it from
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Hiding-Headers.html
and just expanded it to fit my needs.

@ 2014-09-06 22:14     ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2014-09-06 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Thanks for this Dave, I've ended up building a new '.gnus.el' which more
> or less works. It has this line in it -
> ╭────
> │(setq gnus-visible-headers "^From:\\|^Subject:\\|^Date:\\|^Reply-to:\\|^To:")
> ╰────

> which only works if I toggle it with "t" whilst somewhere in the header
> or summary pane. But how do I make it appear "true" for each and every
> email, rss post and newsgroup post please? I copied it from
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Hiding-Headers.html
> and just expanded it to fit my needs.

I only see that happen if I set gnus-show-all-headers to t.  Perhaps you have that set somewhere?

--

@ 2014-09-07  7:39       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-09-07  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding