From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Create a group from a list of message-ids
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 22:26:50 +0700	[thread overview]

On 11/25/13 21:08 PM, Alexander Baier wrote:
> On 13-11-25 14:20 Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>> Alexander Baier <lexi.baier@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>> I did not yet give notmuch a look, could you point out what in your
>>> opinion make notmuch more flexible than namazu?
>>
>> Hmm, I was afraid you'd ask that! :)
>>
>> As far as I can recall, the interface to namazu felt very slow, and the
>> search syntax was much more awkward and limited than notmuch. Notmuch
>> just feels easier to use: it caches recent queries, lets you filter
>> previous queries more easily, and makes browsing the results quite easy
>> -- it actually acts as its own little MUA, with threading and
>> everything. (Actually that can be annoying when all you want is the
>> original message.) Mairix can't do unicode indexing, so that was right
>> out.
>>

> This sounds very nice! You mention notmuch comes with its own
> MUA. Although this might be usefull in a lot of situations, I am looking
> for something that can integrate with gnus. This means I would like to
> have something, that displays the search results as a group in gnus that
> I can act upon like the other nnir backends. A search through the (gnus-)
> manual didn't turn up anything about notmuch as a nnir backend. Is this
> just something missing from the manual, or does a nnir notmuch backend
> simply not exist?
>
> If there is no notmuch backend, how do you integrate notmuch into to
> gnus? Or do you just use it outside gnus?

It doesn't plug in to nnir, it has its own way of displaying search
results (hence my statement that it's a bit of a MUA unto itself). If
you're just looking to read/reply to messages, or save attachments, it
works great. If you were hoping to do something else with the message,
you'll want to use the "warp to original" snippet from here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/NotMuch

It also comes with its own tagging structure and all kinds of stuff I
don't use. The superfluity bugs me a little, but the searching is nice
enough that it doesn't matter. A nnir plugin for notmuch might actually
be nice.

Give it a shot!