* posting-style inconsistencies between posting and following-up
@ 2013-06-02 20:01 Sebastian P. Luque
From: Sebastian P. Luque @ 2013-06-02 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I am a little stuck understanding what the problem with this
posting-style set up is.  The last entry in my gnus-posting-styles is:

 ("GroupA"
  (eval
   (setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments
	 '("-a" "grpa")))
  (address "user1@gmail.com")
  (organization "My Org")
  (body "\n\n\nRegards,\n")
  (signature-file "grpa"))

I'm using msmtp to send mail via a couple of servers I need for
different purposes, so I have set up the following variables:

(setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail
      sendmail-program "/usr/bin/msmtp"
      message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-a" "gmail")
      mail-host-address "gmail.com")

where "gmail" is my default account for groups other than GroupA above.

The posting-style works well when posting ("C-u a" on the GroupA group),
but when following up to a message in that group, my messages get sent
via the "gmail" account, and the From: address takes on my default
`user-mail-address' (rather than the "user1@gmail" specified by the
posting style).  Surprisingly, `message-sendmail-extra-arguments' shows
as ("-a" "grpa") and `user-mail-address' as "user1@gmail.com" in the
*Message* composing buffer.  Obviously, these are being ignored, even
though the rest of the posting-style is respected!  Any tips on
troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

Cheers,

--
Seb

* Re: posting-style inconsistencies between posting and following-up
@ 2013-06-03  1:40 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2013-06-03  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sebastian P. Luque wrote:
> I am a little stuck understanding what the problem with this
> posting-style set up is.  The last entry in my gnus-posting-styles is:

>  ("GroupA"
>   (eval
>    (setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments
> 	 '("-a" "grpa")))
>   (address "user1@gmail.com")
>   (organization "My Org")
>   (body "\n\n\nRegards,\n")
>   (signature-file "grpa"))

> I'm using msmtp to send mail via a couple of servers I need for
> different purposes, so I have set up the following variables:

> (setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail
>       sendmail-program "/usr/bin/msmtp"
>       message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-a" "gmail")
>       mail-host-address "gmail.com")

> where "gmail" is my default account for groups other than GroupA above.

> The posting-style works well when posting ("C-u a" on the GroupA group),

Really?  `C-u a' binds `gnus-newsgroup-name' to "", so it suggests
that the regexp "GroupA" matches "".  If so, the style for "GroupA"
will be applied to any group when you use `C-u a'.

> but when following up to a message in that group, my messages get sent
> via the "gmail" account, and the From: address takes on my default
> `user-mail-address' (rather than the "user1@gmail" specified by the
> posting style).

I suspect the regexp "GroupA" doesn't match the group belonging
to "GroupA".  Doesn't evaluating of this form return nil in that
group (in the summary buffer)?

(string-match "GroupA" gnus-newsgroup-name)

> Surprisingly, `message-sendmail-extra-arguments' shows
> as ("-a" "grpa") and `user-mail-address' as "user1@gmail.com" in the
> *Message* composing buffer.

The reason for the former will probably be the result of the style
for "GroupA" that was once applied successfully.  The eval form in
the style modifies `message-sendmail-extra-arguments' permanently.
The posting style feature binds only `user-mail-address' and
`user-full-name' ephemerally in a message buffer locally, so I
think there has to be a means to revert it in the other style that
doesn't match "GroupA".

I don't know why the latter happens.