* move article out of thread.
@ 2013-02-12 22:38 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2013-02-12 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello

I searched the manual and google, but can't find the solution for the
following problem. Sometimes people answer to a mail in a thread with a
complete different content which has nothing to do with the original
subject of the thread.

So the best solution seems to me to move that article out of the treat
and make it parent of a new thread. There is the
(gnus-summary-reparent-children) function but when applying it to an
article in the thread it is not moved out.

What do I miss?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: move article out of thread.
@ 2013-02-13  1:15 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-02-13  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hello
>
> I searched the manual and google, but can't find the solution for the
> following problem. Sometimes people answer to a mail in a thread with a
> complete different content which has nothing to do with the original
> subject of the thread.
>
> So the best solution seems to me to move that article out of the treat
> and make it parent of a new thread. There is the
> (gnus-summary-reparent-children) function but when applying it to an
> article in the thread it is not moved out.

You could try deleting its References header...

* Re: move article out of thread.
@ 2013-02-13 22:21   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2013-02-13 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> "Eric" == Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

   > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

   > You could try deleting its References header...

You mean when I try to reply to a message?

But I meant just moving it in the tread *before* replying to it.

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: move article out of thread.
@ 2013-02-14  2:53     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-02-14  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>>> "Eric" == Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>
>    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
>
>    > You could try deleting its References header...
>
> You mean when I try to reply to a message?
>
> But I meant just moving it in the tread *before* replying to it.
>
> Uwe

It was just a guess -- I meant editing and resaving the message without
a References header before you reply to it. I just tried it with a mail
message -- I had to get rid of both References and In-Reply-To, but
after that gnus believed it was a parent message and moved it to the top
of its own thread.

* Re: move article out of thread.
@ 2013-02-19 13:43       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2013-02-19 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> "Eric" == Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

   >> But I meant just moving it in the tread *before* replying to it.
   >>
   >> Uwe

   > It was just a guess -- I meant editing and resaving the message without
   > a References header before you reply to it. I just tried it with a mail
   > message -- I had to get rid of both References and In-Reply-To, but
   > after that gnus believed it was a parent message and moved it to the top
   > of its own thread.

Well I am using the imap backend.  I tried your suggestion and it worked,
at first. After I toggled threading off and on again, the old threading
was restored. I have not seen such a feature in other mail readers, so
maybe it is difficult to implement.

Uwe

* Re: move article out of thread.
@ 2013-02-19 14:31       ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2013-02-19 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> It was just a guess -- I meant editing and resaving the message without
> a References header before you reply to it. I just tried it with a mail
> message -- I had to get rid of both References and In-Reply-To, but
> after that gnus believed it was a parent message and moved it to the top
> of its own thread.

I used a function doing just that a few days ago found somewhere on the
web but I can't find it anymore. Maybe you'll be luckier than me with
google.

* Re: move article out of thread.
@ 2013-02-19 15:11         ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2013-02-19 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> "Julien" == Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

   >> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

   > I used a function doing just that a few days ago found somewhere on the
   > web but I can't find it anymore. Maybe you'll be luckier than me with
   > google.

That is great, I mean that you found the function. Do you recall  its name?

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: move article out of thread.
@ 2013-02-19 22:03         ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2013-02-19 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> "Julien" == Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

   >> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

   > I used a function doing just that a few days ago found somewhere on the
   > web but I can't find it anymore. Maybe you'll be luckier than me with
   > google.

Could it be
gnus-mst-manipulate-threads.el  found in

http://dishevelled.net/elisp/

It does not work in xemacs (delete-matching-lines in xemacs only accepts
1 argument not 3) most likely this can be ported, but I just tested
the code with emacs 23 and it does not move an article out of a thread.

Look at this example

   522 [ Uwe Brauer] Nobert Brauer <brauer.r  [Re: AW: un] 14-Feb 0.7k 30
       540 < Uwe Brauer> Nobert Brauer <brauer.r  [Gelöst (wa> 19-Feb 0.9k 33

After applying the function this should be displayed as

   522 [ Uwe Brauer] Nobert Brauer <brauer.r  [Re: AW: un] 14-Feb 0.7k 30
   540 [ Uwe Brauer] Nobert Brauer <brauer.r  [Gelöst (wa> 19-Feb 0.9k 33

But it does not, I think the culprit is the nnimap backend.

I checked for example the sent-mail group and there it works as
expected.

Uwe

* Re: move article out of thread.
@ 2013-02-20  1:10         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2013-02-20  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>>> "Eric" == Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>
>    >>
>    >> But I meant just moving it in the tread *before* replying to it.
>    >>
>    >> Uwe
>
>    > It was just a guess -- I meant editing and resaving the message without
>    > a References header before you reply to it. I just tried it with a mail
>    > message -- I had to get rid of both References and In-Reply-To, but
>    > after that gnus believed it was a parent message and moved it to the top
>    > of its own thread.
>

> Well I am using the imap backend.  I tried your suggestion and it worked,
> at first. After I toggled threading off and on again, the old threading
> was restored. I have not seen such a feature in other mail readers, so
> maybe it is difficult to implement.

Yeah, I don't use imap and I imagine it's simpler with nnmail, where the
messages are just local files you can mess with as you please. Perhaps
the header changes are getting reset, or there's some way you can
propagate them to the server? I'm shooting in the dark, I'm no expert...

* Re: move article out of thread.
@ 2013-02-22  6:04           ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2013-02-22  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Could it be
> gnus-mst-manipulate-threads.el  found in
>
> http://dishevelled.net/elisp/

Indeed I think that's it but I can't make it work anymore either. I
really should have saved it after I played with it.

* Re: move article out of thread.
@ 2013-02-22 11:11             ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2013-02-22 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding