* settings for multiple smtp accounts
@ 2011-10-04 13:45 zwz
From: zwz @ 2011-10-04 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

There has been a good setting for multiple smtp accounts on emacswiki.
However, it has to list the email accounts literally, which is not
convenient for config-sharing with good privacy protection.

Since all the smtp accounts are listed in .authinfo.gpg, I wonder if it
is possible to set up multiple smtp accounts so that it can infer the
right smtp server and port, from the "from" part of the email and
.authinfo.gpg directly.

* Re: settings for multiple smtp accounts
@ 2011-10-04 16:02 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-10-04 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

zwz <zhangweize@gmail.com> writes:

> There has been a good setting for multiple smtp accounts on emacswiki.
> However, it has to list the email accounts literally, which is not
> convenient for config-sharing with good privacy protection.
>
> Since all the smtp accounts are listed in .authinfo.gpg, I wonder if it
> is possible to set up multiple smtp accounts so that it can infer the
> right smtp server and port, from the "from" part of the email and
> .authinfo.gpg directly.

Indeed it is possible.  Look at gnus-posting-styles and set the address
field.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.18

* Re: settings for multiple smtp accounts
@ 2011-10-06  6:40   ` zwz
From: zwz @ 2011-10-06  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> zwz <zhangweize@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> There has been a good setting for multiple smtp accounts on emacswiki.
>> However, it has to list the email accounts literally, which is not
>> convenient for config-sharing with good privacy protection.
>>
>> Since all the smtp accounts are listed in .authinfo.gpg, I wonder if
> it
>> is possible to set up multiple smtp accounts so that it can infer the
>> right smtp server and port, from the "from" part of the email and
>> .authinfo.gpg directly.
>
> Indeed it is possible.  Look at gnus-posting-styles and set the address
> field.

But in this way, it still means one has to list the email address
literally in the config file, doesn't it?

* Re: settings for multiple smtp accounts
@ 2011-10-06 16:41     ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2011-10-06 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, Oct 06 2011,zwz  wrote:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

[snipped 14 lines]

> But in this way, it still means one has to list the email address
> literally in the config file, doesn't it?

Yes, sort of.  This may be of help where the poster does check the
headers and then sends mail based on it.  I use posting styles and so
cannot verify whether the suggestion works.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusMSMTP

scroll to "Yet Another Gnus/MSMTP Setting for Easy Multi-SMTP Sending"

 sivaram

* Re: settings for multiple smtp accounts
@ 2011-10-07  7:36       ` zwz
From: zwz @ 2011-10-07  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 06 2011,zwz  wrote:
>
>> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>>

> [snipped 14 lines]
>

>> But in this way, it still means one has to list the email address
>> literally in the config file, doesn't it?
>>

> Yes, sort of.  This may be of help where the poster does check the
> headers and then sends mail based on it.  I use posting styles and so
> cannot verify whether the suggestion works.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusMSMTP
>
> scroll to "Yet Another Gnus/MSMTP Setting for Easy Multi-SMTP Sending"

Thanks.
In fact, what I want is something quite alike, except that
when sending mail, gnus can get the src email address from the "from"
part, and then it tries to find the right smtp server, port, password,
etc. in the .authinfo.gpg, and finally gets the mail send.

In this way, there would be no literal email address in the config
file; meanwhile it supports multiple email accounts naturally. I don't
know whether it is possible, but it is what I desire.

BTW, msmtp is great, however I have to give the password in .msmtprc (is
it not necessary?), which I think is bad.