From: Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com>
To: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: unsent messages
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 20:27:38 +0200	[thread overview]

> Every once in a while (maybe once or twice a week, on average), I send a
> mail via gnus that doesn't actually get sent: gnus believes it has sent
> the message, it is archived into my Sent group, but the message does not
> actually go out. All my email accounts are served via google app
> domains, and I use msmtp for outgoing mail. When I discover that a sent
> message has not been sent (often a week or two after the fact), I can
> see that it does not appear in my msmtp.log file. So the crack it's
> falling through is somewhere between gnus and msmtp.
>
> My relevant settings seem to be:
>
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
> (setq sendmail-program "/usr/bin/msmtp")
>
> Gnus is v5.13, msmtp is 1.4.20, emacs is 23.2.1.
>
> I've also got a message-send-mail-hook that switches the outgoing msmtp
> account based on the From header of outgoing messages, which I found
> here: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusMSMTP#toc1  I'm using it just
> as it appears there.
>
> I guess I'd just like to know how to ensure some sort of transaction
> integrity here: either it goes out and really does go, or it blows up
> and I know about it. Can anyone tell me if there are places in this
> chain where errors could be muffled?

Same setup here, same problem.
I am not sure what might be the reason, but I think my flaky wifi is
responsible.

So I use this, now:

(setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
(setq sendmail-program "/usr/local/bin/msmtpQ"
      mail-specify-envelope-from t
;; needed for debians message.el cf. README.Debian.gz
      message-sendmail-f-is-evil nil
      mail-envelope-from 'header
      message-sendmail-envelope-from 'header)

msmtpQ is a little shell script that sends the mail if there is a
connection or queques it. It is part of the debian package.
(/usr/share/doc/msmtp/examples/msmtpq/)
[Copy to /usr/local/bin/. You have to set 3 vars in the script!]

This line in my .bashrc checks if there is mail not yet send and
notifies me whenever I e.g. start a new xterm:

find "/home/memnon/Mail/msmtpq" -type f -exec echo Queued Mail! {} \;

I encountered no trouble ever since.

hth
Memnon