* buffers no longer fontified
@ 2009-09-05 12:53 Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2009-09-05 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm quite stumped on this.

Last night, gnus went from fancy to ugly. I don't have any idea what I
did to cause it, but I am willing to admit that it was in fact something
I did. The group and summary buffers now use only the default face. (The
article and server buffers appear as before, using appropriate variety
of faces.)

In case it's relevant, gnus-visual is set to its default. I'm using Gnus
5.13 under Emacs 23.1.50.1.

Does anybody here have a guess as to what caused this, or how I might
try fixing it? Or even going about tracking down the problem?

Thanks,

Dan

--
--------------
Dan Griswold

* Re: buffers no longer fontified
@ 2009-09-05 18:57 ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2009-09-05 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dan Griswold <dgriswol@rochester.rr.com> writes:

> The group and summary buffers now use only the default face.

Never mind, all. I figured it out. Turns out it was a problem with a
deprecated org-mode module I was still loading.

Dan

--
--------------
Dan Griswold

* Re: buffers no longer fontified
@ 2009-09-06 19:12   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-09-06 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Griswold; +Cc: ding, Carsten Dominik

Dan Griswold <dgriswol@rochester.rr.com> writes:

Hi Dan!

> Never mind, all. I figured it out. Turns out it was a problem with a
> deprecated org-mode module I was still loading.

Could you please tell me all details you can remember?  At the org
development towers we had a related problem, where users reported that
org buffers weren't fontified when opening them the first time.  We
could tackle it down to a commit which only changed

      (eval-when-compile (require 'gnus-sum))

      (require 'gnus-sum)

Maybe this is related.

Carsten, maybe there's some org source file in emacs' CVS which is not
anymore in org's git repo due to some renaming which causes problems?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: buffers no longer fontified
@ 2009-09-06 20:30     ` Dan Griswold
From: Dan Griswold @ 2009-09-06 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: Carsten Dominik

> Dan Griswold <dgriswol@rochester.rr.com> writes:
>
> Hi Dan!
>
>> Never mind, all. I figured it out. Turns out it was a problem with a
>> deprecated org-mode module I was still loading.
>
> Could you please tell me all details you can remember?

Sure. On Friday evening (EDT), after doing a git pull from the org
repository and re-making the packages, I found that Gnus wasn't showing
any fontification in the group or summary buffers. Now, I thought for
quite a while that this was a problem in Gnus. But then I observed that
bold faces were no longer being set by sudoku.el. (Yeah, I know.) I
realized then that the problem was not a Gnus issue at all.

Eventually I tracked the problem down to the inclusion of `org-mouse' in
the variable `org-modules'. When I removed that value from the list,
then all the fontification problems disappeared.

Because the functionality of org-mouse seemed to be handled just fine in
Emacs 23, then I thought that maybe this module is deprecated for this
Emacs version, and I just hadn't gotten the message. It turns out that
is not true. Trying it just now, I find that only following links works
without org-mouse.

Well, it might be nice to have the org-mouse features. So, in looking at
the source for org-mouse, I see that (like most packages) it encourages
(require 'org-mouse). I try it, without bothering to include org-mouse
in org-modules. And everything works just fine.

So, it appears that my "oh, never mind" now is indeed some sort of
bug. Apparently, as of Friday, activating org-mouse by having it listed
in org-modules will cause fontification problems with some other
packages. But having my own (require 'org-mouse) in my startup files is
just fine. (I find that strange, but there you go.)

That's about the limit of my ability to specify this bug (or quasi
bug?), at least without further guidance. I hope this has been of some
help.

Cheers,

Dan

--