From: Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: nnmairix problem after nnmaildir -> nnimap switch
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 12:11:10 -0400	[thread overview]

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>> However, there is no mention of nnmaildir any longer in my gnus config,
>> so I assume it must be getting an instruction to use nnmaildir from some
>> persistent gnus data stored within my maildirs: I've tried renaming the
>> zz_mairix-mairix-1 maildir folder, but the error message persists (and a
>> new one is created). How should I get nnmairix to forget about nnmaildir?
>
> nnmairix is usually used as a foreign server, i.e. its information is
> saved in .newsrc.eld between sessions. However, that file is not meant
> to be edited by hand.
>
> To get rid of an existing nnmairix server, you just have to delete *all*
> existing nnmairix groups and restart Gnus.

Thanks David. That worked, and I was making progress, but I've now hit a
similar problem. For reasons I won't attempt to justify I now have two
nnmairix servers configured and I want to get rid of them and make a
clean start. So my server buffer looks like

     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
     {nnmairix:general} (opened)
     {nnmairix:gen} (opened)
     {nnimap:dc} (opened)

No mairix groups appear in the group buffer as they are empty. What
exactly do I have to do to make these nnmairix servers go away? I can
force mairix groups to appear by subscribing to them with
gnus-server-read-server followed by
gnus-browse-unsubscribe-current-group, and then I can kill them. But the
two nnmairix servers persist after restarting gnus (whether or not I use
gnus-server-close-server to close the servers before restarting gnus).

Embarassingly this is a sub-problem of what I was in the middle of
posting to the list about; I am able to carry out mairix searches with
these servers, but the results are not appearing in any mairix
group. But I want to make a clean start before investigating that.

Dan