* No extra headers in nntp groups
@ 2008-11-17 20:29 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-11-17 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all,

I have

,----[ C-h v gnus-extra-headers RET ]
| gnus-extra-headers is a variable defined in `gnus-sum.el'.
| Its value is (Cc To Newsgroups)
`----

So when I evaluate

  M-: (mail-header-extra (gnus-summary-article-header
       (gnus-summary-article-number)))

in the summary buffer of some non-nntp group, I get a non-nil alist.
But in nntp groups the value is always nil.

On #gnus I found some volunteers who tried the same and got equal
results, but those use emacs 23 with the bundled gnus, just as I do, so
I cannot say if it behaves differently with other emacs/gnus versions.

Why are there no extra headers in NNTP groups?  Is that a bug?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: No extra headers in nntp groups
@ 2008-11-17 20:50 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-11-17 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, Nov 17 2008, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Why are there no extra headers in NNTP groups?  Is that a bug?

No:

,----[ (info "(gnus)To From Newsgroups") ]
| The above is mostly useful for mail groups, where you have control
| over the NOV files that are created.  However, if you can persuade
| your nntp admin to add (in the usual implementation, notably INN):
|
|      Newsgroups:full
|
| to the end of her `overview.fmt' file, then you can use that just as
| you would the extra headers from the mail groups.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: No extra headers in nntp groups
@ 2008-11-17 22:22   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-11-17 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> Why are there no extra headers in NNTP groups?  Is that a bug?
>
> No:
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)To From Newsgroups") ]
> | The above is mostly useful for mail groups, where you have control
> | over the NOV files that are created.  However, if you can persuade
> | your nntp admin to add (in the usual implementation, notably INN):
> |
> |      Newsgroups:full
> |
> | to the end of her `overview.fmt' file, then you can use that just as
> | you would the extra headers from the mail groups.
> `----

I see, thanks for the pointer.

Bye,
Tassilo