Speaking of Content-Location, I see w3m-region in mm-inline-text-html-render-with-w3m can be passed a url location so relative links and images go to the right place. I wonder if something like below could pass that through from RFC2557 mhtml parts. The decode bit is fairly nasty, because I believe in a multipart it's necessary to propagate the Content-Location down into subparts (if they don't have their own Content-Location). Or at least that's my reading of the rfc and the sample messages at http://people.dsv.su.se/~jpalme/ietf/mhtml-test/mhtml.html On those samples you can see the relative links for the images come out right with w3m-region passed the Content-Location urls. (Looking just with describe-char if you've got image display disabled, as I do, and without worrying, yet, whether w3m can pick out the image contents from the multipart/related parts instead of downloading ...)