* I like w3m -dump
       [not found] <mailman.3399.1194916258.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2007-12-03  1:54 ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-12-03  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

MB> (setq mm-text-html-renderer (quote w3m))
Gentlemen, that reminds me although I read "Decoding and Viewing" in
the manual, I am not within ages 28-30 so still cannot figure out:

I see a button "( ) text/html" and can choose
 display as text, pipe to command, save and strip, toggle display...

All I know is I like to do
$ w3m -dump file.html
lots in the shell.

So what do I do to hook them together least painfully?
I even tried
Shell command on MIME part: HOME=/tmp LC_ALL=zh_TW.big5 w3m -dump -T
 text/html|iconv -cf big5 > /tmp/t;cat /tmp/t
when of course I should be just hitting one key surely.

(I want to see w3m -dump results somewhere in emacs, not somewhere
outside emacs.)

* Re: I like w3m -dump
@ 2007-12-03  3:39   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-12-03  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

OK, I have now done
# apt-get install w3m-el-snapshot
and indeed
$ emacs -f w3m http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/
works. But I still can't figure out how to read the item whose
gnus-summary-display-buttonized button I am upon, using w3m inside
emacs.

By the way,
. runs the command gnus-mime-action-on-part
Action: /usr/bin/w3m -dump -T text/html '%s'
but where does the output go? I don't see anything.

* Re: I like w3m -dump
@ 2007-12-03  8:02     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-12-03  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

Hi!

> OK, I have now done
> # apt-get install w3m-el-snapshot
> and indeed
> $ emacs -f w3m http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/
> works. But I still can't figure out how to read the item whose
> gnus-summary-display-buttonized button I am upon, using w3m inside
> emacs.

Strange, for me

  (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)

with emacs-w3m is enough to display the html part inside Gnus.  I can
click on the button you're talking about or use `b' to toggle between
text and html part.

Does it give some error or messages?  I seem to remember that you need a
version of emacs-w3m later than the last release 1.4.4 (a snapshot or
the current CVS trunk) to work with emacs 23.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: I like w3m -dump
@ 2007-12-04  2:48       ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-12-04  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

TH>   (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
TH> with emacs-w3m is enough to display the html part inside Gnus.
I needed to add
text/html; w3m '%s'
to ~/.mailcap here on Debian to get it to stop using iceweasel
(firefox), which is apparently what mm-decode.el is picking via
mailcap-possible-viewers here in
# apt-cache policy emacs w3m-el-snapshot
emacs:
  Installed: 22.1+1-2.1
w3m-el-snapshot:
  Installed: 1.4.244+0.20071127-1

However
text/html; w3m '%s'
of course is wrong.

So I adjusted it, and got
 Viewing with w3m -dump '%s'
 Displaying w3m -dump /tmp/emm.1194239L/mm.11942fHm.htm...done
But wherever all that Displaying and viewing is going on is in a place
unbeknownst to me.

And of course w3m -dump is not what I should be using.

* Re: I like w3m -dump
@ 2007-12-04  9:12         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-12-04  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> TH>   (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
> TH> with emacs-w3m is enough to display the html part inside Gnus.
> I needed to add
> text/html; w3m '%s'
> to ~/.mailcap here on Debian to get it to stop using iceweasel

IMO Gnus shouldn't pick any external app if emacs-w3m is installed and
mm-text-html-renderer is set to it.  But because you said that emacs -f
w3m www.foo.com works, it seems to be installed correctly.

Maybe you should post your ~/.gnus.el here so we can check if
something's wrong with it.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: I like w3m -dump
@ 2007-12-06 22:45           ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2007-12-06 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

TH> Maybe you should post your ~/.gnus.el here so we can check if
TH> something's wrong with it.

My pleasure. Thanks.
http://jidanni.org/comp/.gnus.el
http://jidanni.org/comp/.emacs

* Re: I like w3m -dump
@ 2007-12-07  7:52             ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-12-07  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> TH> Maybe you should post your ~/.gnus.el here so we can check if
> TH> something's wrong with it.
>
> My pleasure. Thanks.
> http://jidanni.org/comp/.gnus.el

  mm-inline-override-types '("text/html")

This might be the culprit.

,----[ C-h v mm-inline-override-types RET ]
| mm-inline-override-types is a variable defined in `mm-decode.el'.
| Its value is nil
|
| Documentation:
| Types to be treated as attachments even if they can be displayed inline.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo