* Fwd: Possible bug in Gnus v5.11/GNU Emacs 22.0.50
@ 2005-12-15  3:37 Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2005-12-15  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: George Ellison, rms

Does anyone have any idea?

According to my having heard from George Ellison, he subscribes
to the newsgroups comp.os.linux.misc and comp.os.linux.advocacy
using the nntp back end.  The numbers of articles are always
displayed as * even if restarting Gnus.  The group level is 3.
He has not changed the news server recently.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 767 bytes --]

From: George Ellison <notamisfit@nerdshack.com>
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Possible bug in Gnus v5.11/GNU Emacs 22.0.50
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 19:59:41 -0500

Sorry if this isn't the right way to do this (especially for a CVS
version), but I ran into a bit of a problem while trying out the new
version, and figured I'd do my part and let somebody know.

While using Gnus, the number of messages per newsgroup always comes up
as *, and pressing <g> will not get new messages -- I have to quit Gnus
and bring it up again to get them.

* Re: Fwd: Possible bug in Gnus v5.11/GNU Emacs 22.0.50
@ 2005-12-15  3:47 ` George Ellison
From: George Ellison @ 2005-12-15  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gnus development list, rms

Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> writes:

> Does anyone have any idea?
>
> According to my having heard from George Ellison, he subscribes
> to the newsgroups comp.os.linux.misc and comp.os.linux.advocacy
> using the nntp back end.  The numbers of articles are always
> displayed as * even if restarting Gnus.  The group level is 3.
> He has not changed the news server recently.

I sent you another e-mail shortly afterwards. By getting rid of the .newsrc
files and re-subscribing to my groups, I was able to get Gnus working
correctly. I'm not quite sure what happened, and I'm sorry for wasting
everyone's time like this, but it seems to be working ok now.