* Palm and Gnus
@ 2001-09-13 14:12 Ian Swainson
From: Ian Swainson @ 2001-09-13 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

I've had no response to queries about syncing Gnus and the Palm, so I'm going to
have a go at writing something to do it myself. I'd be grateful if someone could
answer a couple of questions about the Gnus side of things.

I am a complete amateur C and lisp programmer, so please bear with me.

Basically, the functionality I want is for all unread messages for any group at
the time of synchronisation to be sent to the Palm, and marked as read when they
are read on the Palm and synchronisation occurs, and vice-versa (marked as read
on the Palm if they were transferred there but were then read in Gnus).
Any mail composed on the Palm is sent via Gnus, and a copy kept in the relevant
Gnus folder.

So, my technique, I reckon is as follows:
1. I'm going to use pilot-link's pilot-mail as a starting point
2. At synchronisation I'll need to loop thru each nnml group and check the
.newsrc file for the filename of the mail (where is the code in Gnus that does
this?) to see what has been read already. I'll need also to check what is on the
Palm already to make sure I avoid duplicates.
3. Mark all messages that are read on the Palm as read in Gnus (by adding the
filenumber to the .newsrc file)? Will this affect the expiry rules?
4. Mark any messages read in Gnus and transferred to the Palm previously as read
on the Palm
5. Finally get any mails composed on the Palm and ... where can I put the mails
so that Gnus will send them? (I'd also like Gnus to add the sig to them)

I'd be grateful for someone who is much more familiar with Gnus than I to point
out the right way to do the Gnus interaction parts - It'd be (I'm sure) much
better to use Gnuserv and Gnus's inbuilt functions than manipulating the Gnus
files directly? Pointers to relevent bits of code in Gnus would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Ian

--
fortune says:

Leibowitz's Rule:
	When hammering a nail, you will never hit your
	finger if you hold the hammer with both hands.

~~~~~~~~~~~ Made in Ireland using GNU Emacs ~~~~~~~~~~~
Ian Swainson           Kia Ora!         ian@qui-oui.com