* what's up with me reading comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi?
@ 2001-04-18 15:47 Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2001-04-18 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bleh.  I don't get it.  My NNTP feed reports the highest article
(today) as

    200 Supernews NNRP server ready - http://www.supernews.com (posting ok)
    group comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi
    211 1123 85842 86964 comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi group selected

Fine... looks like highest article is 86964.  Now I look at group parameters
for that group after a "C y":

    ("comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi" 3
     ((1 . 91940)))

Gah!?  Where'd that 91940 come from?  There are definitely no articles
out there.

And it's only this group.  If I edit that number to 86900, I get about
60 articles, but it says there are 5040 to read (and it takes about
three minutes of probing to figure out there's nothing between 86964
and 91940).  And when I've read those 60 articles, I get no articles
left to read, even if I ask for the "last 50" on entry.  And the end
number ends back up at 91940!

Where is Terry Gnus getting the 91940 number from?  Surely not
entering the group, nor from the "active list" (which agrees with the
group command).  Is it hallucinating?

* Re: what's up with me reading comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi?
@ 2001-04-18 17:52 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-04-18 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
>     group comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi
>     211 1123 85842 86964 comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi group selected
> Fine... looks like highest article is 86964.  Now I look at group parameters
> for that group after a "C y":
>     ("comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi" 3
>      ((1 . 91940)))

See if "list active comp.whatever" gives consistent results.

There are circumstances in which these numbering reports vary,
stupidly and inconsistently.

Gnus uses "group" on group entry but "list" elsewhen.

* Re: what's up with me reading comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi?
@ 2001-04-18 22:08   ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2001-04-18 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl> merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
>> group comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi
>> 211 1123 85842 86964 comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi group selected
>> Fine... looks like highest article is 86964.  Now I look at group parameters
>> for that group after a "C y":
>> ("comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi" 3
>> ((1 . 91940)))

Karl> See if "list active comp.whatever" gives consistent results.

Karl> There are circumstances in which these numbering reports vary,
Karl> stupidly and inconsistently.

Karl> Gnus uses "group" on group entry but "list" elsewhen.

    200 Supernews NNRP server ready - http://www.supernews.com (posting ok)
    group comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi
    211 1127 85842 86968 comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi group selected
    list active comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi
    215 list follows
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi 0000086968 0000085842 m

Nope.  Same range.  Next idea?

* Re: what's up with me reading comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi?
@ 2001-04-18 22:12     ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-04-18 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kinky.  In that case, I have no idea.  The inconsistent limits I've
seen in "group" /vs/ "list active" were due to active file problems
with a badly restarted/renumbered INN.

Since your server seems to be self-consistent, I guess I'd suggest
that you exit Gnus and go crawling into .newsrc.eld to look for the
weird number, and try to figure out where it's occurring.  You might
also examine the NNTP buffers, to see exactly what the server is
sending.

--karl

* Re: what's up with me reading comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi?
@ 2001-04-18 23:40       ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2001-04-18 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl> Kinky.  In that case, I have no idea.  The inconsistent limits I've
Karl> seen in "group" /vs/ "list active" were due to active file problems
Karl> with a badly restarted/renumbered INN.

Karl> Since your server seems to be self-consistent, I guess I'd suggest
Karl> that you exit Gnus and go crawling into .newsrc.eld to look for the
Karl> weird number, and try to figure out where it's occurring.  You might
Karl> also examine the NNTP buffers, to see exactly what the server is
Karl> sending.

Found it!  ~/News/cache/active had a line showing that 91940 was cached
(even though the directory was gone).

Hmm, maybe I should just blow away my entire cache.

* Re: what's up with me reading comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi?
@ 2001-04-19 10:34         ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-04-19 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

> Hmm, maybe I should just blow away my entire cache.

The cache in general seems to be a cause of endless troubles.  I once
had a cached article in an nnml group and renamed that group.  :-/